Electricity problem

Hi, I have a question about a problem I have encountered. All the receptacles in 2 of my upper bedrooms stopped working, after I checked the breaker had tripped in the main fuse box. It worked a few times after I turned the fuse back on but now tonight I cannot get the fuse to work (keeps tripping). When I checked my ensuite the Ground Fault Protector (maybe called something else) is not working, when I press "test" the "reset" button does not come out so that I can in fact reset it. Would this cause all the outlets on that circuit not to work or just the outlet by the sink? If it is all of the outlets is this Ground Fault Protector easy to change?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Reply to
Realist

If the GFI is on the dead circuit the one with the tripped breaker you will NOT be able to reset it.

Go around check EVERY OUTLET in your home and unplug everything thats plugged into a dead outlet, then try restetting breaker

something plugged in like a lamp is likely shorted

Reply to
hallerb

It sounds like two separate issues. If a circuit breaker trips when you reset it, there is a short circuit on that line. It could be in the wiring or it could be something plugged into an outlet on the circuit. I would first try turning off any lights on that circuit, and unplugging anything in the outlets, then try resetting the breaker. The GFCI breaker must be pushed to the full off position before trying to reset it. If it trips when reset, there is either a ground fault or short circuit on that line. If it just won't switch on , it may be a defective breaker

Reply to
RBM

Thank you!!!

This all happened after I moved my TV from one outlet to another, I mounted it on my wall. Before the move I had 2 satellite receivers, 1 DVD player a security system, a Laptop as well as the TV into one outlet, this one is empty now. Nothing new has been added, the only change is that the TV has been moved and it is going into an outlet that we have not used before and we use a small extension cord to connect it. The breaker worked for about 10 minutes later tonight and I tried the GFI test, it did not work while the power was going to the outlets.

Reply to
Realist

You didn't put a screw into a wire when you mounted the TV on the wall, did you? That would cause the problem you are having and would explain why it is happening NOW, and not before moving the TV

Reply to
clare

I can't say for sure if that happened or not. I thought about that. There as an outlet below the mounted TV and three feet to the left so I assumed the wiring would have been along that height. The outlets worked for a day or so after the first trip, would they work if I in fact screwed into a wire?

Reply to
Realist

Forgot to mention that the mount is 5 inches from the ceiling.

Reply to
Realist

Andy comments:

Usually the wiring is run thru the attic to the room, where it goes DOWN the side of a stud. Then, it is often carried to the other room outlets at the outlet height, around 15 inches or so from the floor. Windows and doors mean going back up a stud....

So, you "might" have hit the wire rwhere it runs up or down a stud. Statistically, it is very rare,.... but it is possible.

Good luck.

Reply to
Andy

That's probably what he did.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

I unplugged everything from all outlets on this circuit and turned the breaker on this morning. It has been 2 1/2 hours now and it has not tripped. Would it trip anyway if I were screwed into a wire? We'll see, if it happens again I'll call an electrician.

Thanks

Reply to
Realist

I just went into the attic and had a look, there are no wires going into the ceiling on that stud, but that GFI in the washroom still does not work. The outlet in that same washroom worked while the breaker was off though, must be on another breaker.

Reply to
Realist

take each item you unplugged and plug into a different circuit.

sounds like you ran your new mount into a wire in wall.

bad things happen:(

Reply to
hallerb

If the breaker trips with things plugged in, and doesn't trip with things NOT plugged in, the problem is obviously with one of the things you had plugged in and not the wiring or the TV mount.

Reply to
RBM

PROBABLY! A low level short might only trip when any other load is added.

I would feel the wall where the new mount is screwed in for warmth.

Reply to
hallerb

They could. Depends on how badly you nipped the wire. I'd back out the screws and see what happens (one at a time) and if one is causing the problem I'd open the wall and repair it. The patch will be behind the TV so if it doesn't match 100% it will be fine untill the room needs repainting again.

Reply to
clare

Plug in the TV first and see what happens. The TV is grounded (in all likelihood) so if you nipped the wire plugging in the TV COULD trip either the GFI or the breaker.

Reply to
clare

PROBABLY! A low level short might only trip when any other load is added.

I would feel the wall where the new mount is screwed in for warmth.

Nonsense

Reply to
RBM

I cut a hole in the wall to see if I in fact hit a wire when mounting the TV and I didn't hit one. Now I am really stumped. On a bright note now I will put an outlet where I cut the hole. LOL

Reply to
Realist