electricity problem

Page 2 of 2

bubblegummom wrote:

That certainly sounds like a single line is out. I am going to suggest professional help. There are just too many possibilities to try and instruct anyone without good knowledge of the subject to start with, to safely take on the project. However it is usually a very quick and easy project for the professional. I do recommend you have it checked as opposed to ignoring it. It is a possible safety hazard if left alone, although most of the time it would be safe.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Could be a loose connection in the power panel. Shut off the main breaker/disconnect and make sure all of the screws are tight. If it is a fuse panel (it is old, if it is) remove all of the fuses and inspect them, clean if necessary (or replace) and screw them in firmly.
Second source of this kind of problem is a junction box loose connection. If the junction is in a box that you have access to, bang it firmly with a heavy but soft tool (like a rubber hammer) to determine if you can stimulate the blinking. If yes, then take it apart (after shutting that circuit off) and redo/clean/tighten the connections.
There is a safety issue here, so if you (or hubby) are not basically competent, don't mess with this on your own.
Mr. Schuler,
I guess we don't have junction boxes. Tried banging on all of the outlets but nothing flickered.
Yes, it is a fuse panel, and it is old. My husband seems sure that all the fuses are working and he thinks something else in the panel is probably wrong.
Thank you for taking the time to help.
Loretta
Charles Schuler wrote:

Not liking the symptoms you explained. Presence of a fused box, makes wonder more. If you found the fuses ok in the service box, then get yourself a qualified electrician. Many times it takes years for faults to cause damage, you might have a broken splice, etc.
keep us up to date with your status,
tom @ www.FreeWorkAtHomeIdeas.com
Dear Tom the Great,
Why is it you're not liking the symptoms? Frankly, we don't like them either.
What is a broken splice?
Unfortunately qualified electricians cost great big bucks.
Thank you for your input!
Loretta
Tom The Great wrote:

Funerals cost even more.
If you are truly broke, contact your local United Way or similar agency and explain your plight. Like lawyers, there ARE electricians that do "pro bono" work. Heck, I can even "see" a handful doing <ahem> community service - and helping in your situation would certainly qualify.
Go to the local farm store and ask if they know of anyone that might be able to help. Many churches have electricians in their congregation.
The help you need IS out there, and may not cost nearly as much as you fear.
This is a LOUSY time of year to be without power or with crippled power, especially with health ailments.
Offer a nice, hot meal and I'm sure someone can help for little or nothing. Good luck and may God bless you.
--
:)
JR

there might be several reason to this, it could be 1. loose connection 2. damaged insulation 3. voltage drop 4. over-consumption (too many apparatus running) 5. a defective apparatus on the electric line
system21 u568567
Check out his game <br><a href=http://gc.gamestotal.com/ Galactic Conquest</a>
bubblegummom wrote:

If you are by any chance a dependent of a serving member of the Armed forces of the United States contact your nearest Home Depot, Veterans of the Foreign Wars (VFW), or American Legion Post. If you also live within two hundred miles of Washington, DC then reply back to me with the only words in the title being "service support."
--
Tom Horne