electricity prices

Page 3 of 4
On 10/12/2014 7:44 AM, CRNG wrote:

SE Iowa - $114.76 divided by 827KWh = $.139 (almost the same as AL).
"CRNG" wrote in message
I'm curious about the cost of electricity in various areas. Last month, I paid $88.06 total (includes all taxes, fees, etc.) for 641kwh in Birmingham AL. What do you folks pay and in what general area?
On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 12:54:15 -0500, Vic Smith

So the bottom line is $78.23/502kwh = $0.155/kwh but the utility company is only charging 502 KWH TOTAL @$0.0784/KWH
Taxes, fees, etc are nearly doubling your price. That's the kind of info I'm interested in.
On Monday, October 13, 2014 3:11:56 AM UTC-4, CRNG wrote:

That's incorrect. You're only taking the cost for the energy and leaving out the delivery portion. That delivery portion is actually the utility. It's paying for the transmission lines, poles down the street, meters, servicing all that, etc. It's roughly half the total amount, similar to what it is on my bill. The taxes and govt fees are $6.80, or about 9% of the total bill.
On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 06:53:49 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

I don't really care that much how they juggle the numbers around on the bill. The only important number is what I pay per KWH. You can complain about taxes and fees but you still have to pay them.
On Monday, October 13, 2014 10:23:15 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I agree that when the taxes, fees, etc are 9%, it doesn't matter. But what the poster was claiming was that they were about half the bill. If that were the case, I think it would matter to a lot of people. His error was in just looking at the cost of the energy itself, not the cost to deliver it.

Yebbut, when you have a constant "ready to serve" charge, which applies even when the meter doesn't move from one month to the next, the rate per KWH for that month is infinity.
Perce

And some places the price tiers go the other way - use more, pay a lower rate per KWH
On 10/13/2014 10:30 AM, terrable wrote:

Those days are going away. Water too, the more you use, the more you pay.
Utility companies want you to conserve so they don't have to build new plants, but they just raise the rates to bring in the money they need.

PECO in Philly
13.77 cents per KWH (includes taxes) plus $7.13 monthly customer fee.

PECO in Philly area
13.77 cents per KWH (includes taxes) plus $7.13 monthly customer fee.
GENERA 502 kWh X 0.07840 $39.36

$15.77 is a rather stiff customer charge.
And another $3.41 for "Standard Metering Charge".
And multiple taxes and junk charges.
How do they get away with all that nonsense?
On Monday, October 13, 2014 10:54:40 AM UTC-4, terrable wrote:

They don't. The numbers are wrong. He's counting the delivery portion of the bill as taxes and junk. It's not. The taxes and fees are only 9% of the total bill.

I remember about 15 or 20 years ago Duke Power (may be called Duke Enegery) wanted people to cout back in the summer as they could not generate enough power. Even had things going across the TV screen about the usage getting critical.
That winter they were asking for a rate increase due to people cutting back too much.
On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 11:38:17 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

That is the critical flaw in all of these solar power schemes. The power companies still need to be able to supply 100% of the grid at night and on cloudy days but on sunny days they only get to sell a fraction of that power. You have to expect that this will result in much higher "fees", even if your actual usage charges go down.
On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 10:23:15 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I don't care either. There's something called CUB (citizens utility board) in Illinois that watchdogs the utilities. So I'm not getting screwed more than anybody else. I did notice that on my bill the supplier has boosted the rates since I signed up a couple years ago. It was 4 cents and change when I went to them from ComEd. Now it's the same as or a bit more that ComEd rate. Looks like it'll be like coupon clipping or cable company switching to get the lowest rate. I'll just look at rates once in a while. ComEd's rate must have come down too. I know before the deregulation my monthly bill was commonly over $95-130 and now it runs $60-90.
On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 09:01:43 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

That is about what I see, but there are lots of things lumped into "non fuel" on my bill that are not listed.
Rate:RS-1 RESIDENTIAL SERVICE Customer charge:$7.57 Non-fuel:(First 1000 kWh at $0.060770) $167.87 (Over 1000 kWh at $0.071590) Fuel:(First 1000 kWh at $0.029470) $88.52 (Over 1000 kWh at $0.039470) Electric service amount 263.96 Storm charge 2.90 Gross receipts tax 6.84 Franchise charge 12.86 Taxes and charges 22.60 Total new charges $286.56 Total amount you owe $286.56
Per terrable:

I'm in the suburbs - Paoli... maybe we get a different rate.
I got 18.2 by dividing my KwHrs used into the bottom line of my last bill.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 11:58:17 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in

Good points.
On 10/13/2014 1:15 PM, CRNG wrote: ...

And it's only exacerbated by wind...
_ANY_ non-reliable, on demand source is the problem that there then still has to be ready reserve when it suddenly disappears. (Well, there is an alternative; accept lower system reliability).