electricity prices

I don't really care that much how they juggle the numbers around on the bill. The only important number is what I pay per KWH. You can complain about taxes and fees but you still have to pay them.

Reply to
gfretwell

And some places the price tiers go the other way - use more, pay a lower rate per KWH

Reply to
terrable

PECO in Philly

13.77 cents per KWH (includes taxes) plus $7.13 monthly customer fee.
Reply to
terrable

I agree that when the taxes, fees, etc are 9%, it doesn't matter. But what the poster was claiming was that they were about half the bill. If that were the case, I think it would matter to a lot of people. His error was in just looking at the cost of the energy itself, not the cost to deliver it.

Reply to
trader_4

PECO in Philly area

13.77 cents per KWH (includes taxes) plus $7.13 monthly customer fee.
Reply to
terrable

$15.77 is a rather stiff customer charge.

And another $3.41 for "Standard Metering Charge".

And multiple taxes and junk charges.

How do they get away with all that nonsense?

Reply to
terrable

Those days are going away. Water too, the more you use, the more you pay.

Utility companies want you to conserve so they don't have to build new plants, but they just raise the rates to bring in the money they need.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I remember about 15 or 20 years ago Duke Power (may be called Duke Enegery) wanted people to cout back in the summer as they could not generate enough power. Even had things going across the TV screen about the usage getting critical.

That winter they were asking for a rate increase due to people cutting back too much.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

That is the critical flaw in all of these solar power schemes. The power companies still need to be able to supply 100% of the grid at night and on cloudy days but on sunny days they only get to sell a fraction of that power. You have to expect that this will result in much higher "fees", even if your actual usage charges go down.

Reply to
gfretwell

They don't. The numbers are wrong. He's counting the delivery portion of the bill as taxes and junk. It's not. The taxes and fees are only 9% of the total bill.

Reply to
trader_4

I don't care either. There's something called CUB (citizens utility board) in Illinois that watchdogs the utilities. So I'm not getting screwed more than anybody else. I did notice that on my bill the supplier has boosted the rates since I signed up a couple years ago. It was 4 cents and change when I went to them from ComEd. Now it's the same as or a bit more that ComEd rate. Looks like it'll be like coupon clipping or cable company switching to get the lowest rate. I'll just look at rates once in a while. ComEd's rate must have come down too. I know before the deregulation my monthly bill was commonly over $95-130 and now it runs $60-90.

Reply to
Vic Smith

That is about what I see, but there are lots of things lumped into "non fuel" on my bill that are not listed.

Rate:RS-1 RESIDENTIAL SERVICE Customer charge:$7.57 Non-fuel:(First 1000 kWh at $0.060770) $167.87 (Over 1000 kWh at $0.071590) Fuel:(First 1000 kWh at $0.029470) $88.52 (Over 1000 kWh at $0.039470) Electric service amount 263.96 Storm charge 2.90 Gross receipts tax 6.84 Franchise charge 12.86 Taxes and charges 22.60 Total new charges $286.56 Total amount you owe $286.56

Reply to
gfretwell

Per Zaky Waky:

I personally know people in whom curiosity just does not seem to exist. Seems like the same people tend not to get jokes - usually thinking the standup comedian telling them is just talking stupidly. They also seem to lack a sense of wonderment as in watching Cirque du Soliel: "Wow, did you see what that guy just pulled off" "So what, that's what they do for a living." In general, they don't seem to be very capable of enjoying things.

I suspect it's genetic.... maybe something with neural hormones and receptors...

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per terrable:

I'm in the suburbs - Paoli... maybe we get a different rate.

I got 18.2 by dividing my KwHrs used into the bottom line of my last bill.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 11:58:17 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in

Good points.

Reply to
CRNG

and then there is the idiot factor and it's more common than people realize

Reply to
ChairMan

On 10/13/2014 1:15 PM, CRNG wrote: ...

And it's only exacerbated by wind...

_ANY_ non-reliable, on demand source is the problem that there then still has to be ready reserve when it suddenly disappears. (Well, there is an alternative; accept lower system reliability).

Reply to
dpb

And up here in Ontario, the idiot provincial government signed many huge contracts to buy solar power ar a significant premium over retail

- to avoid having to build new conventional or Nuke capacity. Kinda like the "we are only losing a little bit,but don't worry, we'll make up for it in volume" arguement.

Now on sunny and windy days they are selling surplus power to New York at WAY below cost - and sometimes pay to dispose of it ......

Reply to
clare

"CRNG" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... I'm curious about the cost of electricity in various areas. Last month, I paid $88.06 total (includes all taxes, fees, etc.) for 641kwh in Birmingham AL. What do you folks pay and in what general area?

Reply to
BurfordTJustice

Sw PA (West Penn Power) including taxes, fees, etc.:

1183 kwh -- $111.47 Aug. 26 -Sep. 23, 2014

John

Reply to
John