electricity prices

Page 1 of 4
I'm curious about the cost of electricity in various areas. Last month, I paid $88.06 total (includes all taxes, fees, etc.) for 641kwh in Birmingham AL. What do you folks pay and in what general area?
Per CRNG:

Philadelphia PA area: 18.2 cents/KwHr (including taxes and surcharges)
--
Pete Cresswell

On 10/12/2014 9:56 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

The OP can find all the rates here: http://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.cfm?t=epmt_5_6_a
I'm glad I don't pay Hawaii rates. That use would be $246.
On 10/12/2014 8:44 AM, CRNG wrote:

You paid .137 I pay .175 here in CT so my bill for that use would be $112.17 Rare that I pay less than $125 a month.
CRNG wrote:

8 cents/KWh up here in Calgary AB 5 year fixed. I am on 2nd year. We use about 1000KW/h/month average. Our cost is on the high side. BC, Quebec, Manitoba have lot lower rate.

I paid 0.1148 per KWH last month In SW Fl
Per Tony Hwang:

Hydro, right?
--
Pete Cresswell

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

Yes, those 3 provinces have plenty hydro. Not many hydro plants here. Coal and NG burning plants. We have known 500 year reserve for coal deposit under us, LOL!
On 10/12/2014 10:48 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Obama is saving us from those nasty coal burners by tightening up emission specs that result in shut down of the coal generators.
Tony Hwang;3295012 Wrote: > CRNG wrote:-

The reason why those rates are so high is because you guys are burning fossil fuels to generate that electricity, and it's the cost of that fuel that requires a high electric rate.
Here in Manitoba, we have more hydroelectric potential than you can shake a stick at. "Hydro electric power" is electricity generated by water, which generally means something like the dam at Boulder, Colorado (but on a much smaller scale) where a river is dammed to create a lake, and the accumulated water goes through turbines to produce electricity. In that case, once the dam is built, there is very little input cost to produce electricity.
Most of Manitoba's hydro electric potential is undeveloped, but the most opportune sites already have electric generating stations on them, and more are planned as electric rates go up in the US and other parts of Canada. If and when electric cars become common, and demand for electricity peaks at night when all of those electric cars are charging, Manitoba will be the next Saudi Arabia of the world.
Right now I'm paying 6.83 cents per kilowatt hour, and that rate hasn't changed in years. And, that's mostly because Manitoba Hydro is a publically owned utility that makes a fat profit off the electricity they sell to the USA and other parts of Canada like Ontario and Saskatchewan.
--
nestork

On 10/12/2014 10:44 AM, nestork wrote:

Yep. A significant portion of the electricity used in the Twin Cities, Minnesota, comes from Manitoba power. Helps keeps our costs down - especially as the incompetent management of our nuclear plants grossly underestimated the costs of upgrading, leading to them trying to pass the hugely excessive costs onto the utility customers. The public utility commission is so far taking the position that since it was their incompetence that led to their unexpected expense, the utility should eat it.

Central Florida. Total $85.85 for 612 KWH.
It is $0.07263 for energy, $0.0407 for fuel adjustment per KWH for the first 1000KWH. Plus $8.00+- in tax.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 10/12/2014 8:44 AM, CRNG wrote:

Power costs 8.551 cents per kW/h plus a $14 base rate here in ETN. Not nearly so bad as some places I've lived.

Nice resource. Thanks. However, I'll a little skeptical about how the numbers are calculated. For example, where I am in Alabama, the "rate" is $0.114/kwh but they also tack on various taxes, fees, assessments, etc which brings the effective rate of my bill up to $0.137/kwh. I'm guessing that the above EIA table does not include the add ons. I'm interested in the total costs of the electricity.
On 10/12/2014 1:31 PM, CRNG wrote:

That's my thought too. Think we pay maybe $5/mo here in DE for Bloom Engineering to build municipal fuel cells, which are less efficient than turbines or competitors cells, but that's crony capitalism. Couple of years ago money was stolen from taxpayers' electric bills to put in offshore windmills that never happened.
On 10/12/2014 1:31 PM, CRNG wrote:

It lists CT at about .19. That is the published CL&P rate, but by choosing a different generator my rate is just over .17 and that does include all added fees. My generation rate is .079. I'd say the chart is pretty accurate.

And Ontario is significantly higher. We have time of use now, and it is$.075 off peak, $0.112 mid peak. and $0.135 on peak, plus delivery, regulatory charges, debt retirement chareges and taxes.
Total consumption of 1614kWh over 2 months cost 256.75 for a cost of $0 .159 per kWh

and some places have different priced "tiers" - use more, pay a higher rate.

Up here in Ontario we are paying for the diss-aasembly of Ontario Hydro, the ridiculous bonuses paid to outgoing CEOs, privatization, and huge cost over-runs on rebuilding our nuke plants as well as a few political screw-ups that cost the provincial utility billions.
Not to mention the attempt to get rid of ALL coal fired generation.
On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 17:44:24 +0200, nestork

You must not have any environmentalists up there. It would be easier to get a permit for a nuke plant than to dam a river here in the US.
Transmission costs and the permitting for new power lines will limit the market for your power but if it is cheap enough it might bring the customers to you. Unfortunately, nearest to you is north Dakota and they may be the Saudi of Nat Gas.
"Why not Minot"? "Freezn's the reason"