Electricity- flickering, brief outage

Page 2 of 2

i as an electrician appreciate any info i might get from my customer,cant tell you how many times something they say can lead you right to the problem. after my previous post i went on a service call, found a bad connection at the service,i replaced all 3 connections although only 1 was bad seems to of taken care of it. but it was all the same symptoms you described.

My electrician was just here today and pulled Con Edison's meter and tightened up connections in the box and applied some conductor termination compound to the contacts where the meter plugs in. There was no sign or arcing or corroded contacts in the electric meter. Also, he pulled all the circuit breakers in the breaker box and inspected the buss bars and all metal contacts. No sign of arcing, annealing of metals, corrosion, no cracked or broken buss bars. All connections tightened.
The lock on the electric meter was rusted shut, so a Con Ed tech stopped by the other day and cut it off. That was the only corrosion noticed with the meter.

I had a very similar problem for a couple of years. Had the electric company out a few times and they said it was a problem inside. My house is 160 years old and I figured people probably did some funky stuff with the electric over those years so I rewired the house. Long story short that didn't work and I had First Energy out again. I did go to the neighbors on the same transformer and ask if their lights were flicking off none of them were (actually I was losing 1 leg of the 240). Turned out the loop was bad at the transformer. They remade the connections, put in a request to get it changed and forgot about me for another 6 months. The guy who came out in 20 degree weather at 10 pm to change the overhead was pissed they didn't change it when it was warm. Anyway alls good now.

Glad to hear your problem has been solved.
Is the transformer you mentioned attached to a telephone pole in your neighborhood? Does your electrical line come into your house from above or below ground?
I don't know jack about transformers, but I've read it mentioned a few times on the net in regards to flickering/outage trouble.

Glad to hear your problem has been solved.
Is the transformer you mentioned attached to a telephone pole in your neighborhood? Does your electrical line come into your house from above or below ground?
I don't know jack about transformers, but I've read it mentioned a few times on the net in regards to flickering/outage trouble.
Yes the transformer is connected to a pole in the neighborhood. It's a big can looking thing and it has wires going to my house, the neighbors house and the people across the roads house. I asked both homeowners if they were experiencing any outages and they said no. The reason First Energy was able to finally find the problem was because I called when it was out for about an hour and they were able to send someone right away. Every other time I called them the power would come back on before they could make it out which was usually the next day. Like I said the neighbors weren't having any problems but with mine out when they showed up they were able to isolate it to the wires going from the pole to my house. Since they replaced it I have not had a problem. I did gain a lot of knowledge from this fiasco. When it first went out it scared me being a first time homeowner. I took a residential wiring course, got a job with an experienced electrician, rewired my house, and I am now a licensed electrician in my county. It was a very expensive piece of wire though.
On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:34:33 -0400, against all advice, something

It's hard to fix something when it's working.
--

Real men don\'t text.

is it just one pole or is it both? if wires are tight buss bar not burned, i would be inspecting the connection of your service to electric companies connections,providing you have an arieal service and look for splices between your house and electric companies transformer.
Turns out the problem was with Con Edison. They pulled the electric meter and did a load test and determined there was a "bad neutral" under ground in the street.
They pulled a metal cover out of the street and had to pump out a few gallons of water before getting to the wiring.
I called Con Edison several times over a few months before they sent someone. I informed them that I hired an licensed electrician and had him check my circuit breaker box and the connections at Con Edison's electric meter.
On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 15:16:35 -0700 (PDT), Toasty

    Do you have aluminum wiring in the house? Have devices been wired using the back stab method or the much more reliable screw method?
    Do all the circuits do this at once or do only some circuits loose power?