Electricity consumption

Page 4 of 5
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Even if they got slightly warm, they would not ice-up during freezing rain - which they certainly do.
What does happen is that on hot summer days, they will sag - and it was exactly this sagging that caused one high-voltage line in Ohio to sag and touch a tree, starting a fire and starting a cascade shut-down of the power grid of the whole east cost in 2003.
On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 19:55:28 -0700, Smitty Two

IAEI magazine did an article a few years about how hot transmission lines can be (mostly about sag) I assume when the issue is a million volts, a hundred and 50 degrees is not that big a deal.
On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 14:06:28 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

In case you haven't seen this transmission line maintenance video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_1T2_l43Xo

It's maybe my favorite short video.
--Vic
On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 09:48:26 -0500, Steve Barker

really worth while.

or to drill and transport all that oil
amazing

given the "best slant" they could come up with.
I'm not talking about auto mags, that I'm sure do it right, but about tv news shows, the network evening news, etc.
On 3/14/2011 9:50 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Did you build it? If I got that right, the DC generator was fed from the output so it operated as a motor? Can't help but wonder how it would perform with today's lithium ion batteries. Did it have anything to reverse the process to slow the car and charge the batteries? Maybe when downshifting?
On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 10:37:24 -0400, Tony Miklos

whole lot. Full feild it at speed, and it slowed down real quick, but only on full voltage.
Lithiums would definitely have been the cat's meow!!
On 3/14/2011 8:38 AM, Don Phillipson wrote:

"mileometer" ??
--
Steve Barker
On 3/14/2011 6:43 AM Steve Barker spake thus:

Usually known as an odometer ...
--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet

there's a device called Kill-A-Watt that measures power consumption,very simple to use. some utilities have loaner programs so you can borrow one instead of buying one. they cost about $22-30 USD,depending on where you buy.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Don Phillipson wrote:

There is a consumer device called a "kill a watt" which will show you the running cost of an appliance. The local big box stores carry them now, as does HF, for under $30.00.
Alternately, sometimes you can find old utility meters (a watt-hour meter) for sale on the surplus market (or ebay, such as http://cgi.ebay.com?ViewItem&item70491570813 ), but to safely use on you would want to get the box it plugs into.
Jon
On 3/14/2011 10:35 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:

Oh please, I thought everybody knew about these folks. You can buy a refurbished single phase meter for under $20.00 from Hialeah Meter. :-)
http://www.hialeahmeter.com /
http://www.texasmeter.com/english/remanufactured.html
TDD
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 12:18:05 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Yup, just be sure you get a meter base (another $10) on that site.

Yeah, they are real convenient to hook up.
Not !!!
Andy
On 3/14/2011 9:51 PM, Andy wrote:

A CT type meter would be a lot easier but it just takes a little work to install a meter box. Been there done that,...a lot. ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Measuring wattage you can use a CT amp connection, but you also need a direct connection to measure voltage, at least for loads with a power factor other than 1. I have not seen a watt meter with CTs that was very cheap. An old utility meter is cheap (but takes a little more work to connect).
--
bud--

On 3/15/2011 12:25 PM, bud-- wrote:

You can get the newfangled modern external digital auxiliary power meters that also measure voltage and the CT's are inside the electrical panel and they're not cheap but they're easier to install than a power meter on the incoming main lines outside.
TDD

Get a "Kill-A-Watt" meter. Roughly $30. Anyone can use it.
Various functions of the "Kill-A-Watt" are:
* Volts * Amps (true RMS, with AC this is not necessarily what most ammeters read) * Volt-Amps (volts times true RMS amps) * Watts (With AC, this sometimes differs from volts times either true-RMS or non-true-RMS amps) * Hours since you plugged in the meter * KWH consumed by the load since you plugged in the meter
My experience is that watts are rounded down in some way, and the meter can read low by up to about 1 watt.