Electricity Bill

My electricity bill has been much higher this summer than last summer. It says my electricity use has been much higher and as nearly all of it is accounted for by the increased use of air-conditioning, you would think it's been used a lot more. However, this summer has been cooler.

For example, my latest bill :

avg. temp this year has been 90 degrees; 99 degrees last year (This is Dallas, TX). kwh used this year : 2531, last year : 1700.

This is for the same time period in both 2004 and 2003. I have heard that my a/c ducts are not the most efficient but is it possible for them to become hugely less efficient in the space of a year? I'm baffled because everything else is the same. Our a/c in summer struggles to get us down below 80 degrees so it's more or less on full blast every single day. But this was the same last year. How can we be using so much extra power? There's no other unusual usage of any electric items.

Paul

Reply to
D'Olier

If your ducts are in the attic an inspection may be in order. Two things can happen. You can have the joints open up (think "mastic job") or you can have critters eating holes in them. That may be a bigger fixit job. Your electric company may have a rebate for you if you do fix bad ductwork. They may even have a program to inspect them.

Reply to
Greg

Sounds to me like it is the A/C. At 90 outside, a properly sided and maintained unit should not have that much troube getting it down below 80, unless the house is terribly poorly issulated, with a lot of otehr leaks. First thing to do is have the unit checked.

Is it a sudden increase, or has it been going up all year compared to the same periods last year? does your utility compamy sometimes estimate your usage (should indicate that on the bill). Here in Ohio they do that sometimes, giving some lame excuse that they couldn't access the meter for some reason. I think it's so they can over estimate a number of bills, and then ride the 'float' on the money for a month or so before effectively 'refunding' it by giving a correct reading the next month!

Regardless, check for other possible problems as well. Perhaps an electric dryer that isn't working correctly? Lights left on in an unused area (attic or basement)? Neighbor with an extension cord plugged into your outside outlet!?

Reply to
mwlogs

Everything you've stated points to a problem with your A/C. You need to call in a pro and have your system thoroughly checked out, including the ductwork.

Reply to
Banister Stairwell

An unmaintained AC , Refrigerator needing repair, electricial short, are a few of the things that can cause excessive usage.

Reply to
m Ransley

Have any teen agers moved into your house?

Reply to
Nick Hull

A/C problems, you shouldn't have any problems maintaining temps under 80 with the ambient temp 90.

So this leads me to think your a/c system is needing servicing. A unit that is low on charge or dirty coils can consume a lot of wasted energy.

Get the unit checked and see what happens afterwards.

BTW, if the unit is severely old, think about getting a high efficient model. (you will see a big savings, beings you are in Texas)

~kjpro~

Reply to
~KJPRO~

Just a couple of comments from a fellow homeowner. First, I don't know what you mean by average temperature, which usually means just taking the daily high and low and averaging. I think your 90 and 99 are the average daily high temperature. Where I live, the temperature usually cools off a lot at night, so we don't often run the A/C 24 hours per day; usually turn it off at 9 pm or so and turn it on again about 10 am. None the less, last year was record for continous days above 100 degrees, this year is still hot but mostly between 100 and

90 for the high. Last year we used about 1000 KWh and this year about 880 KWh for July.

An A/C shouldn't have any trouble lowering the temp from 90 to 80 degrees. Our 25+ year old A/C has no problem lowering the house temp to 74 degrees (standard temp for us) when the outside is 95+ and it doesn't run all the time. Looking to the ducts as a possible problem is likely a foolish hope, unless the cooling duct(s) are dumping the cool air into the attic, which is unlikely. Cleaning the ducts certainly won't make much if any difference. Time for an A/C tune up and if there are major problems, a new unit.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Could also be the air filter. If it is dirty, the unit will runn all-out yet put out much less volume of cool air, thus cost you more. Check that filter. Replace that filter.

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com Northern, NJ Ride a Motorcycle? Ask me about "The Ride"

Born once - Die twice. Born twice - Die only once. Your choice...

Reply to
Joe Agro

While you are at it, pull out your refridgerator and vacuum the coils. This probably won't account for all of the increase in your bill, but when those coils get too dirty they don't work very well and the fridge runs longer and longer. . .

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

There have been cases where animals burrowed & nested in the ducts and caused massive air leaks and big bills.

Reply to
Nick Hull

last year out a/c unit ran all day....$$$$$$$$$.. had it serviced...it was low on freon about 4 lbs.. this year it stops after running a few minutes and the temp will go down about to 77 or 78-79 degrees... we keep it on 78 degrees.. its been hot in louisiana..(just like in texas)... check your insulation in the attic... our house is about 30 yrs. old we had it built.. i remember when it got cold inside during the summer with the a/c on.... but then the insulation was new and up to the top of the rafters... it settles and oh yes i am now about twice the size i was when i was 25 yrs. old.... i now have fat under the skin and this makes you feel hotter than it actually is.....

Reply to
dbird

True, and people occassionally drive through the back of the garage, but neither happens if the homeonwer/driver has a modicum of sense/maintenance.

BTW, your signature is not correct. It has clearly been shown that black slaves in some parts of the south had guns which were necessary for the slave to provide their own food.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

:) Not yet. But we'll be there in about eight years.

Reply to
D'Olier

The unit is only four years old - which makes it all the more surprising.

Reply to
D'Olier

">

The avg. temp I gave is what's printed on the bill, so it's the avg. daily temp for the billing period. It definitely has been noticeably cooler this year.

Reply to
D'Olier

Replaced it two months ago.

Reply to
D'Olier

Paul:

D > My electricity bill has been much higher this summer than last summer. It D > says my electricity use has been much higher and as nearly all of it is D > accounted for by the increased use of air-conditioning, you would think it'

D > been used a lot more. However, this summer has been cooler. D > D > For example, my latest bill : D > D > avg. temp this year has been 90 degrees; 99 degrees last year (This is D > Dallas, TX). D > kwh used this year : 2531, last year : 1700. D > D > This is for the same time period in both 2004 and 2003. I have heard that D > my a/c ducts are not the most efficient but is it possible for them to D > become hugely less efficient in the space of a year? I'm baffled because

Check your duct runs. A few years ago I was doing some work in the storage area in the basement and noticed the duct had separated and one piece fallen by about two inches. We had noticed a vent in the living room hadn't much pressure but it was at the end of the house and assumed it was because the vent was at the end of the run.

Reconnected and a lot more pressure from that vent! Also my basement isn't as warm in the winter.

  • Press any key... NO! NO! NO! NOT THAT ONE!!!!!!
Reply to
barry martin

The Temps are HIGH in TX I am in a suburb of Dallas (Flower Mound) and we ARE having a cooler summer BUT (there,s always a but huh?) I know why my elect bill is still higher (please I know I have to replace my 20yr old a/co heating system) it is so that our Elect Co. can keep their profits high Irish

Reply to
Denise Baker

Black slaves could only possess a gun if allowed by the owner, not the same as freely owning a gun.

Reply to
Nick Hull