Electricians license

Page 1 of 2
I used to do volunteer plumbing work for Habitat for Humanity. Some of us studied plumbing and some of us studied electrical for a couple of Saturdays at the local trade school, then we worked under the supervision of a real plumber or electrician. Then the local building inspectors decided that non-licensed volunteers could no longer do electrical and plumbing work. My dad said I should file for an apprenticeship with the state labor board and then I'd be able to continue. If I did enough supervised volunteer work, I could apply for a license. I never looked into it because I didn't like the idea of probably having to pay dues to a labor union just so I could do volunteer work. This was maybe 5 or 6 years ago.
I just found out today that my electrical engineering degree should qualify me to skip the apprenticeship and take the exam to get a "Master Electrician A" license here in Minnesota. If it was a BSEE I *know* it would qualify (according to the state's licensing FAQ.) I have a BSEET rather than a BSEE, but the actual statute is less specific than the FAQ and my degree should be OK.
I think I'm gonna look into it. For one thing, it would be nice to have a skilled trade in addition to my profession if my employer decides to start laying off middle-aged technical folks again.
Best regards, Bob
What is a BSEET?

It's one of the cheaper tickets at a Britney Spears concert......

Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering Technology
snip

tell me, Just Where do you get the concept that your professional background and a desire for a skilled trades recognition should meet in terms of re-employment at 'hands on' trade level. For the sake of the discussion pretend I am Interview Panel 'Industry Advisor' member.
cheerio
BTZ
bitzah wrote:

If I'm not ready to retire and I can't find another engineering job, I can put up a $5000 bond and start working for myself as an electrical contractor. (I haven't studied all the details so don't mock me yet)
It never hurts to have additonal options.
Bob

scary huh?

..very true Bob,, always have a route to the rear mapped out..first Law of Battle Order :-) Well from your response you wont be needing me (panel Member) <G> The situation could well be different in your location but speaking from experience I can say there a number of obstacles to the type of self employment you envisage that would quickly frustrate the satisfaction. Suppliers for one would quickly pick up on the fact you havn't a clue (tradewise). Financiers and the short term money market would be loathe to fund any projects for like reasons. Then there is the Client (Joe-Public, Architects, Consultants and the like)..its all business Bob,, and like they say.."Its a WarZone..out there" :-) Thanks for the response..good luck :-)
BTZ

See? That there is what happens when you don't vote libertarian.
default wrote:

Libertarians are like the Celtic tribes of yore the English kings hired as mercenaries: bold, loyal, absolutely fearless in battle. You just wouldn't want them to actually be running things.
JerryMouse wrote:

Can I quote you on that? Do you want the attribution to be "Jerry Mouse"?
Seriously, Bob

Yea, and any government higher than anarchy is theft.

Well... not for very LONG, admittedly.

I too have lost my job to outsourcing (I am an experienced Computer programmer/analyst) with little hope in obtaining re-employment. I too, am considering being an electrician. I have two engineering degrees (one BSCIS, the other is BSME), although I'm not sure how much that helps. I have been studying the NEC, but putting that into practical practice is another story. Does anyone know about government grants to help me out in becoming an electrician?
I don't think anyone should seriously consider being an electrician or any other trade without actually working in that trade, under supervision, for a while. I will agree 1 & 2 family isn't "rocket science" but there are skills you will only get by doing the work. When you kick the "contractor" tar baby you have also added a whole new level of complexity. Not only are you taking ultimate responsibility for the quality of the work, you are also running a business and the business part is usually what sinks most contractors. There is a big difference between managing a department for a fortune 500 and actually owning the "day to day" on a business. BTW a mere $5000 bond is so ridiculous I don't know why they bother. An unlimited contractor (electric, plumbing HVAC etc) in Florida has to pony up $75,000 in bond and some say that is not enough. It is easy to leave customers holding the bag for that amount of money when you make a few bad business decisions and your company goes belly up. If you work in a "right to work" state, just about anyone who shows up with a screwdriver and a rusty pair of Kliens can work as an electrician, under someone else's license. Try it for a while and see if you have a flair for it. If you are good your boss will promote you or you can find a better boss. Good trades are in demand, no matter where you live, it is only the union dominated areas that value "time" over "skill". Do that for a couple thousand hours and then you are in a better place to make a decision if this is really what you want to do. I would strongly suggest taking some small business credits before you try to strike out on your own.
Greg wrote:

Thanks. I don't intend to strike out on my own unless I'm forced to. But it's nice to not be totally at the mercy of The Company.
I intend to do volunteer work along side "real" electricians -- Habitat for Humanity (residential experience) and helping with the construction of our new, very large, church (commercial). The church building committee has asked for skilled volunteers to keep the costs down.
I agree that experience and on-the-job training are the best teachers, but it doesn't take me 5000 hours and months of paying union dues to learn. I'm a quick study.
I already sort-of know what I'm doing and I have a knack for it. I installed the service entrance in my 50-something year old house about 10 years ago. That's only one small facet, and I don't pretend that I could pass the license exam right now. (I don't think I would fail it all *that* miserably either.)
Best regards, Bob

First thing you want to do is find out what rules your particular state has made about it. It does you no good to be highly trained, talented, and skilled, if what the state requires is a 4-year apprenticeship..
Phisherman. You should try to find out if there is a Workforce Investment Board (WIB) office in your area. It is a federal program to help people retrain after their job has been eliminated. They give out grants that do not have to be repaid.
Try this site for starters: http://www.nawb.org /

Thanks John!
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:47:47 GMT, "John Grabowski"

Phisherman wrote:

able to help you. But if you don't cooperate with them, my guess is you will find it hard to get a job.