electricians

I have an old rewirable fuse type comsumer unit that i would like to replace Is this expensive? Have been told that to replace my rewirable fuse system with circuit breakers or MCB's is a really easy job and that i could do it myself...

any suggestions???

Reply to
gastec

Are you perchance in the UK? I've seen rewirable fuses in use over there.

I've heard about rewirable fuse panels being used in homes in the USA, but in some 50 years of fooling around with stuff, I've never actually seen any in use, just some old photos of them.

I have seen cartridge fuses with replaceable links, but these were for "industrial strength" applications.

In any case, replacing a fuse box with a breaker panel isn't exactly rocket science, providing the existing wiring insulation is in good shape and doesn't start falling apart when you have to bend and twist wires to get them out of the old box and into the new. The challenges are likely to be more mechanical that electrical, i.e. will all the existing wires be long enough to get to where they have to when you change boxes, and if not, how best to rectify that situation.

Depending on where you are, codes and inspection requirement may be factors limiting your being able to legally do the job yourself. Don't approach this project blindly. If you were experienced you wouldn't be asking the question here, so get someone who knows what he's about to to look over your shoulder.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

If you have to ask then its not DIY

Reply to
m Ransley

I have to agree with the other two posters, if you have to ask then you might be better off getting someone with experience to do the job for you.

I'd also add that if you change panels you also need to bring the new panel up to current electrical codes. I changed my own panel and had to bring grounding up to current code. The old panel used on the nearest cold water pipe for a ground and didn't jumper across the meter. I had to run a ground wire to the pipe where it entered the house, add the jumper around the meter, and add an 8 foot ground rod outside to meet current code.

Once done you will also need to have your work inspected. Before starting any work check with your local codes enforcement office. In some areas you may have to have a licensed electrician to do the work.

Reply to
KennyJr

If you haven't already, post to this group:

UK.D-I-Y

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Only a few people are born into the world knowing it all or thinking they know it all. We learn by asking and by doing. Have you never asked how to do something or do you hire everything out rather than ask questions?

Bob

Reply to
Robertm

Nothing wrong with DIY. Read, ask, learn. If it's wrong the inspector will tell you what must be corrected. When the inspector approves the job, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you did the job right. Many times the pro's don't bother with permits and many times the job isn't done correctly. Depends who you hire. A licensed electrician isn't necessarily an automatic pro job. Sometimes it is. Hiring a contractor is like playing the roulette tables in Vegas.

Bob

Reply to
Robertm

Thanks folks

I will get in a licenced sparky to do the work..

Yes im in the uk

Reply to
gastec