electrician overcharged me!

I had a plumber out, same thing , he pulls out a book to quote me a 500 price for what i later paid 210. Scammers.

Reply to
m Ransley

Call him and ask for a partial refund. If you don't ask for it, you won't get it.

Forget small claims court. The Supreme Court has held that advertising claims don't have to be strictly true.

Don't take the advice to stop payment on the check or anything. The electrician can put a mechanic's lien on your house that will prevent you from refinancing or selling it if you do so. It's a lot easier for him to put the lien on than it is for you to get it cleared.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Shafer

How 'bout calling the IBEW and complaining to them? Say you were charged $700 for one hour of labor and $20 worth of materials (and by whom), and you're gonna talk to the local TV station's investigative reporter about it. Peer pressure might can work for you here. I don't think any tradesmen want their fixed rate price book exposed to public scrutiny.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Possibly. Check with your local governmental consumer affairs department.

Again...possibly. It really depends on the law of your state...and the intricate details of your case...which aren't readily explained by you. Federal law could also come into play.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

Trent©

What if an electrical company lies and puts a price in the permit gor kess than galf of what he charges? And he threatens to lien your house within one day of completion. He bever did things I wanted and was sloppy and refused yo give me detailed itemized accounting. Will his lue on oermit cone back to me. He charges 250 percent more.

Reply to
feeling taken

What does your contract say? Did he give you a written quote before doing the work? Did he give you a firm price at all? Verbally? Were there witnesses? That's what counts, not what's on a permit. The price on a permit could help as supporting evidence in a dispute, but that's about it, it's not binding. Bottom line, you should have a written contract before the work starts.

Reply to
trader_4

What tasks did the electrician perform?

How much did he charge?