electrician overcharged me!

Page 2 of 3
I had a high price quoted to replace 4 but it was only something under $200. I went and bought the replacement parts myself and did the work myself.
Snoop Drew wrote:

Snoop Drew wrote:

Barnum was right.
-- dadiOH _____________________________
If I issue the stop pay I have my money for leverage to bargain . Dont forget I have the money the crook doesnt. Then we can let a court decide if need be. I have had to do it several times unfortunatly, 3. All three i prevaled. Its their immediate Ace card. Court will take a year and guarntee nothing even if they win. Spitting on the street is illegal to .
please include all or part of the post you are replying to so that we know what you are talking about. Issueing a stop payment on a check is the same as "passing a bad check". Period. The guy didn't get ripped off. He agreed to pay a price for a service. The service was performed (and he was happy with the results) and now he has buyer remorse.
Go buy a car. A few days later you decide you got taken on the price. Stop paying for the car and see what happens.
m Ransley wrote:

he doesnt have buyers remorse. he has expected ignorance that the electrician was counting on. he had a guy standing there handing him a bill for 700+ for installing 3 gfi outlets and no wiring. he didnt know what to do so he paid it. now he has found out how badly he was purposefully screwed.
at some point, the ramifications of not making your car payments and simply turning the car back into the bank are less than being screwed outright. if you got ripped on the car bad enough it is probably worth it.
see my other post if you want to know what i think about credit ratings.
randy

hmmm... i read it as he had agreed to pay then the work was done...
xrongor wrote:

version is that the electrician presented him with a quote *before* doing the work, he thought it was too expensive, but signed it *anyway*.
just for the record, ya the guy made some mistakes. probably even learned from them. but thats no excuse for the electrician to royally screw him.
randy

No, it's not. Not even close. So why did you sign the work authorization if you thought the price was too high?

It's not reasonable. I make the decision not to do business with companies that charge unreasonable prices for their goods or services. You made the decision to do business.

Quite true.

Recourse for WHAT? You signed the authorization, knowing the price *beforehand*.

Of course you can. And he can tell you to go fly a kite.

Don't be ridiculous. On what possible basis do you have a claim against this guy? He quoted you a price, and you AGREED to it.
If you take this to small claims court, you will lose. And you'll wind up paying *his* legal fees in addition to your own. Depending on the laws of your state, you might also open yourself up to civil or even criminal penalties for filing a frivolous, baseless lawsuit.

Yes, you do. And another one for chutzpah, for even dreaming that you might have a basis for a small-claims action.

Why? He quoted you a price. You agreed to it. Was someone holding a gun to your head, forcing you to sign that work order?
Yes, you were cheated. But you had _full_knowledge_ that you were being charged more than you wanted to pay, and sat there and watched it happen. You've just paid your tuition at the School of Experience. Instead of blaming the electrician, take responsibility for it yourself, make sure it doesn't happen to you again -- and above all, be thankful that you only had to pay seven hundred bucks for this lesson. What if you'd been having an air conditioner installed, and paid seven *thousand* dollars for a job that should have cost two?
WOW!!!! With no wires to run you really got taken for a ride. I just replaced two GFI's at $15 ea. Shut of the power to the outlet and replace one wire at a time (or make a sketch). The toughest part of doing something like this is the thinking about it--doing it is the easy part. MLD

Frankly I have a lot more sympathy for the electrician than for you. He was upfront and above board about what he was going to charge you to do the work. He didn't raise the price afterwards and hold your feet to the fire. You, on the other hand, agreed to the work and the price and now, after the fact, are whining about being overcharged. Yes, you got overcharged. But you called him...he didn't call you. You dropped your pants, bent over and said please. Don't bitch about it now!!

I disagree.....as with auto repairs most people have no clue as to reasonable cost and materials. In fact, that is why the automotive flat rate manual was born. So we relie on the interigity of the contractor or repair person. The company I work that manages 34 apts bldg...has a saying. We want or contractors and repair persons to make money so they stay in business and are around when we need them... but we are not going to be ripped off. We have paid for rental of airless paint sprayers when one failed in the middle of a job which wasn't our responsibilty...but hey, it's $60 or $100 worth of goodwill.... but inflating prices to that degree is wrong.
Terry

Snoop Drew wrote:

let him do the work... yes, it was too high... it should have been like about $200 if it just took one hour to do the job..... $150 per hr. and $50 for parts....
Sue him.
Snoop Drew wrote:

For WHAT?? Did you read the post? He authorized the work, _in_writing_, at the quoted price, _before_ the work was performed. See below:

You see that? "before I signed the work authorization"
Passing a bad ck , one where you dont have the funds to cover it is different than stopping payment because you found out you were overcharged. Passing a bad ck you can be open to 3x the ck penalty. Stopping payment you argue your case. I have 3 times, I showed the judge that my account could cover it. The person just says they felt intimidated by the contractor and thought it was a days job and after completion reviewed it with a friend. Bottom line is who has the money, The contractor probably cashed it the minute the job was done.
Yes. I think he should sue. Tyhen, after he gets through paying that bill (and the attorney's fees for the electrician) perhaps he will have learned something.
RB
Michael Shaffer wrote:

This is a learning experience. Why do you think someone else will fix your problem?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus