Electrician Needed in New Orleans

More than a few people sent aid to NOLA, and FEMA sent most of it packing back home. Rochester, NY fire department was going to send a couple boats, and crews. FEMA called to tell them not to come. I heard tell also of massive "staging areas" with ice melting, and all kinds of crews being told to stand around and do nothing.

It could be said that FEMA made things worse.

.

NOLA following Katrina it was hard finding clean water much less ice or gen sets.

As to water someone shipped in 80,000 gal and FEMA set the trucks back.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

re: "It could be said that FEMA made things worse."

...and it could be said that we don't know *why* FEMA requested that the fire crews stay home.

I've worked on volunteer projects where we had 4 electricians and no plumbers. With only enough work for 2 electricians, 2 of them were standing around wanting to help but having no place to use their skills. Sure, you could turn them into manual laborers for a short period, but eventually they will get board and go home. They want to use their skill sets to help people and gain some personal satisfaction that they made a difference doing what they do best. Meanwhile, the organizers were spending valuable time on the phone trying to locate a qualified plumber.

I read a report on Sandy where the relief organizations were getting overwhelmed with items that well-meaning people from around the world had sent, but that they had no use for. Here's an article about the Newtown tragedy. 21 little ones killed, over 7000 Teddy Bears sent. Well meaning people offering the wrong kind of aid.

top-sending-teddy-bears.

I'm not defending FEMA's handling of the Katrina situation, I'm simply saying that unless we know *why* they didn't want the Rochester fire boats, we can't say that they mishandled that offering. For all we know, they already had more fire boats from other areas than they needed. Trying to coordinate the assets they needed was hard enough, trying to coordinate unneeded assets just adds to the burden.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

HAW HAW HAW! U R SUCH A FUNNY GUY! HAW HAW HAW!

How 'bout some global warming jokes too while you're at it? It *IS* snowing...

Reply to
dennisgauge

It sounds like a relay failed. The odd part is the relay was supposed to prevent power problems. A bit here from the AP:

Dean Hoffman

Wasn't it a relay failure that also caused the great northeast blackout of

1965 (New York, Ontario, NYC, NJ, New England)?

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic

Beats me. I work mainly in a world of simple switches and relays. A relay in my world fits in one's hand. It has a coil and a set(s) of contacts. The article said the failed relay could be the size of a truck. Wowzers.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman