electrician hourly charges

I need to know what is a fair charge electricians are chageing to do the wiring for a 30 by 28 size basement. I live in the Andover New Jersey area. He is charging me $2400.00 in labor for about 10 to fourteen hours of work and won't give me a breakdown on the number of hours rendered.

Reply to
jsanders

You need to only ask the same question once. I think you were WAY overcharged.

Reply to
Meat Plow

The $240 an hour is high for one electrician. Around here, it's about $40-80 an hour. You can find out if your estimate is fair by getting

2-3 more estimates. If there is a great difference in these estimates, get a few more. Check if the one you pick is certified, bonded and insured.
Reply to
Phisherman

There are two basic methods contractors use. One is what you got, an estimate or proposal. He calculates the job, gives you the figure, and you take it or go somewhere else. The other method is time/materials, you pay him an hourly rate for so many warm bodies, and materials with a predetermined mark up, and whatever it comes to, you pay. The figure that you feel is high, could well turn out to be lower than anyone else in your area is willing to do the job for. What you seem to be trying to do will only create an adversarial relationship with the guy. Unless he's the only game in town, move on.

Reply to
RBM

"jsanders" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@homerepairlive.com:

Feeeefte dallah

Reply to
Al Bundy

The answer is, "Whatever the traffic will bear."

HTH

Steve

Reply to
SteveB