Electrician Costs? Installing a ceiling fan with new electrical box.

Page 1 of 2
Hi all,
I need to hire an electrician to install 2 ceiling fans in my house.
Master bedroom: There is access in a crawlspace for this room through the closet access panel Living room: There is no access here.
Both rooms appear to not have any preexisting hook ups.
Not including the fan how much should this job cost?
For just the master I have been quoted 253 labor only and probbably much more for the downstairs.
What do you guys think?
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 25, 11:48 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If you hire the guy who already came out it will cost $253 plus materials for the first fan and more for the other fan. If you call someone else the price could be more, less, or the same.
Add pictures here
✖
"Limp Arbor" wrote snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

50$ maybe 75$ (Lowes charges 75$ each if doing multiples)

This may be very hard or may require fairly significant structural work.

The 253$ may fit the livingroom costs. No way the master bedroom should cost that.

It would be better to get more estimates. There's either something funny going on here that's making the price go way up, or the guy is a rip-off.
I just had 2 fans done (attic access for both) for 50$ each.
Add pictures here
✖
cshenk wrote:

So for 50.00 they put the fan together mounted a special ceiling fan support box ran wire down a wall for a new switch then up to the fan location, put the necessary plug stops in box, installed 2 switches, and I assume this included material. The guy that did this should have given you a check.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

You might want to ask questions if confused. These were replacements of existing ones so there was no wiring, just replacement of fixture. As we were talking labor costs, I listed only that. I had the fans I wanted in a box ready for the fellow.
Yes, he added a better stabilizer in the attic as one of them rocked a little. The kit cost about 20$ and Don helped put it in (one of those jobs that a second pair of hands is nice to have). This is an unfinished true attic. You can stand up along the center line and we have considered making a spare room up there. Main problem is where to put a true stairwell as the design below doesnt lead to that very easily.
Add pictures here
✖
cshenk wrote:

Ok but your response to the original OP made it sound like they could have all this work done as they described for 50 to 75 dollars. I didn't need a reason to ask the question. I estimated the job as they called it in the description and where I live this estimate would have been more than reasonable per work described.
You, not knowing what your doing shouldn't really be giving advice except for what you exactly had done in your situation. Which you clearly stated after the fact. Sorry to be so blunt, but I call it the way I see it.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

Most electricians won't even walk through the door for that price. Typical rate is $65 to $95 per hour.
OTOH I had my service upgrade to 100A, added new panel and breakers, added two receptacles a three way switch and an outside light (not including fixture) for $225 labor and material.
Add pictures here
✖

I'm assuming that there is no existing wiring in place. There are a few variables to consider. Will the fans also have light kits? Do you want a separate wall switch for the fan and one for the light kit? If so do you want a dimmer for the light kit? Would you prefer to not have any wall switches and just use the pull chains or a remote control for the fan and light? I suggest that you go with wall switches as frequent pulling on the chains can wear out those switches prematurely and to pay someone to replace them might add up to the cost of the fan. The wall switches are good if you decide to get rid of the fan in the future and install a regular light fixture instead. If you decide to have one wall switch for the fan and light kit you will be going forth and back between the pull chain and wall switch to shut the light off and leave the fan on.
Since there is no access for the living room, some holes will need to be made in the ceiling and wall so that wiring can be installed. Will you be making the necessary patches to these holes or do you want the electrician to do it? Are you going to be responsible for repainting the walls and ceiling after the holes have been patched or do you want the contractor to do it?
Add pictures here
✖

Hi John,
To answer your question, the fan I want has lights built in to it, it isn't a kit or anything. The fans, which are both the same come with remote controls. Does this mean I don't need a wall switch? Shouldn't the remove me enough? The fans I am getting are really high quality fans and look really good, I doubt we will replace them before/ if we ever move.
This was a question I wanted to ask. Do electricials repair that drywall for the damage that is done when peforming the job? How is this normally repaired?
So guys, thanks for the response. I am in the middle of getting more quotes. It seems like there is some agreement that 253 for no pre existing wiring, with access through a attic crawlspace is too much.
I am correct in this assumption?
John
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 25, 6:57 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Where do you live? That estimate is not that far off where I come from. Now if you live in the Ozarks then yes it would be off. You could expect a 100.00 estimate from someone in that region. I wonder how many here giving their advice are weekend warriors or qualified electricians?
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

I live near Lexington Kentucky. If $253 for no pre exisiting wiring is on par with a crawl space, how much for no crawl space. The downstairs living room has the master bedroom above it.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Much more I'm afraid. But not knowing the layout I would not even think about giving you an estimate without seeing it. Living where you live I would think you now can get it for cheaper by maybe 100.00 cheaper.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The cost could vary. If you can stand a conduit run up the wall and across the ceiling, that's not a big expense. If, on the other hand, you have to hire the guy with the longest drill bit in Kentucky - to bore through the joists holding up the bedroom - he might charge a lot for travel.
Add pictures here
✖

*Using only the remotes makes the installation easier. Tell the electricians giving you estimates that you don't want wall switches.

*Some electricians will make repairs and some don't. This could add a lot more to the cost as it usually takes more than one visit to completely finish the patch job on the drywall. Another visit would be required for painting. If the electrician won't make repairs then you will need to hire someone to do that.

*No. Every market is different. You need to get multiple estimates to determine who is high and who is low.
Add pictures here
✖

It's impossible to really say whether a bid is OK or not without actually seeing the location where the work is to be done.
I thought I saw some really wild situations when I was in retail management, but it pales compared to some of the "handiwork" that others have done.
Ex. 24 gauge phone wire used in wiring up a ballast for a flourescent light.
Outta here.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 13:36:58 -0400, John Grabowski wrote:

Hunter fans do have a wireless remote which controls fan, speed and light. If you can attach the fan to an existing box and use wireless, you're all set.

Franz Fripplfrappl
✖
[snip]

and remember that wireless devices have a lot of problems that a wired switch wouldn't.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

You're right.
I installed a customer bought fan and had to go to Radio Shack for a $10.00 specialty battery. :-)
Add pictures here
✖

You have to brace the 'lectric box for a fan since it's significantly heavier than a little ole light.
Renata
Add pictures here
✖