Electrician Costs? Installing a ceiling fan with new electrical box.

Hi all,

I need to hire an electrician to install 2 ceiling fans in my house.

Master bedroom: There is access in a crawlspace for this room through the closet access panel Living room: There is no access here.

Both rooms appear to not have any preexisting hook ups.

Not including the fan how much should this job cost?

For just the master I have been quoted 253 labor only and probbably much more for the downstairs.

What do you guys think?

Reply to
Johndagolfer

If you hire the guy who already came out it will cost $253 plus materials for the first fan and more for the other fan. If you call someone else the price could be more, less, or the same.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

50$ maybe 75$ (Lowes charges 75$ each if doing multiples)

This may be very hard or may require fairly significant structural work.

The 253$ may fit the livingroom costs. No way the master bedroom should cost that.

It would be better to get more estimates. There's either something funny going on here that's making the price go way up, or the guy is a rip-off.

I just had 2 fans done (attic access for both) for 50$ each.

Reply to
cshenk

I'm assuming that there is no existing wiring in place. There are a few variables to consider. Will the fans also have light kits? Do you want a separate wall switch for the fan and one for the light kit? If so do you want a dimmer for the light kit? Would you prefer to not have any wall switches and just use the pull chains or a remote control for the fan and light? I suggest that you go with wall switches as frequent pulling on the chains can wear out those switches prematurely and to pay someone to replace them might add up to the cost of the fan. The wall switches are good if you decide to get rid of the fan in the future and install a regular light fixture instead. If you decide to have one wall switch for the fan and light kit you will be going forth and back between the pull chain and wall switch to shut the light off and leave the fan on.

Since there is no access for the living room, some holes will need to be made in the ceiling and wall so that wiring can be installed. Will you be making the necessary patches to these holes or do you want the electrician to do it? Are you going to be responsible for repainting the walls and ceiling after the holes have been patched or do you want the contractor to do it?

Reply to
John Grabowski

If I were doing this job and I do them all the time. 75.00 if ceiling is prewired for a fan. If you don't have an outlet in the ceiling and you want a wall switch 75.00 plus 100.00 for going into an attic and another 75.00 to wire switch, if I can get access without windowing drywall. Materials are extra, 3 wire for separate controls, 2 switch's and or dimmer extra.

250.00 total labor material extra and this is without seeing the job.

The living room will be much more and without seeing it, I would not even give an estimate. I have special tools to bore thru joists without doing much drywall windowing but it still needs some and repair afterwards, including drywall repair, texture, primer and paint.

I don't see this guy being that far off. Matter of fact he in my book is right on.

Reply to
evodawg

So for 50.00 they put the fan together mounted a special ceiling fan support box ran wire down a wall for a new switch then up to the fan location, put the necessary plug stops in box, installed 2 switches, and I assume this included material. The guy that did this should have given you a check.

Reply to
evodawg

It should cost at least ten times what you paid for your home. Idiots like you, who ask prices online and dont even state where you live, deserve to be over charged and ripped off for being an idiot. I hope you get taken and end up paying way too much.

Reply to
truth

"evodawg" wrote

Ouch! Well, mine was a replacement fan set (Master Bedroom and Livingroom, renters broke both). Pull switches on both as the existing outlets are in use to control other things. He did go up in the attic though to make sure the boxes were stable and added a kit stabilizer. No drywall work needed.

I suspect so, a difficult install.

I was thinking to add one in my enclosed porch but there is no access above at all and the ceiling is plywood. There are electrical cables up there as there are 4 lights (the type you tend to see in garages with flourescent long bulbs). We need to recover financially from some other work first but later we want those taken out and a nice ceiling fan put in. It will have to be almost flush mounted to the ceiling as it's not a tall roof back there. 7'8" I think. For that, I expect to pay 350$ as the electrician we use already gave an estimate on it.

The other install was cheaper but part of why it was 50$ each was it was a package deal with several other items. The total at the end was almost

1,000$ worth of labor on the work. For example, I have 19 outlets on my back porch, all but 2 were 2 prong and interior style yet this is a merely screened portion (the enclosure part is fully enclosed sunroom, an 11x13 section with a remaining 11x44 fully screened portion). Because of the additional wiring he had to run for proper grounds etc, those were 75$ each. 10 of them were done and the rest capped safely off til later.

He also put in a new fixture for the laundry room to replace one gone bad for 25$ (easy reach situation)

750$+100$+25$ was the main part. Capping off the ones that were unsafe was the rest.

Grin, before you think this horrible, it wasnt. He did all this in about 6 hours. There was no cosmetic work needed on his end at all and the one long wire he had to run along the porch, was all in a straight line (we took the shingle facing off for him before he arrived and put it back up after he left).

I'd call a near 1,000$ haul in a 6 hour day a decent wage. And he's GOOD. Insured too.

Here's what's pending: 7 more outlets on the screened porch, 3 of which require a second wire of some sort (not on same wall as others, inner wall).

1 light fixure in kitchen unsafe (capped off now, needs new light fixure too, recessed sort), 3 outlets around the house that are capped off and not in spots we actually need them just now (2 prong), add another garage light set (he can reuse the ones in the enclosed sunroom), add an exterior outlet on the front of the house to run Xmas lights, replace 3 exterior flood lights at back of house, remove sunroom 'garage type' lights and put in ceiling fan with light fixture if he can get at joists right from below and if not, just replace existing set with something nicer or we accept a mild modification with a faux beam to stabilize the fan which we have to put in exactly according to his specs first then he anchors it to them. He specs this at a total of 1,850$ labor and no cosmetic work on his end. He estimates if he wants to put in a long day, 12 hours. If he doesnt feel like a long day, he says he might take 2 to do it all in 6 hour groups ;-)

Price may go up a bit as inflation hits, but he was sane to mention that and we expect it.

Reply to
cshenk

"evodawg" wrote

You might want to ask questions if confused. These were replacements of existing ones so there was no wiring, just replacement of fixture. As we were talking labor costs, I listed only that. I had the fans I wanted in a box ready for the fellow.

Yes, he added a better stabilizer in the attic as one of them rocked a little. The kit cost about 20$ and Don helped put it in (one of those jobs that a second pair of hands is nice to have). This is an unfinished true attic. You can stand up along the center line and we have considered making a spare room up there. Main problem is where to put a true stairwell as the design below doesnt lead to that very easily.

Reply to
cshenk

Ok but your response to the original OP made it sound like they could have all this work done as they described for 50 to 75 dollars. I didn't need a reason to ask the question. I estimated the job as they called it in the description and where I live this estimate would have been more than reasonable per work described.

You, not knowing what your doing shouldn't really be giving advice except for what you exactly had done in your situation. Which you clearly stated after the fact. Sorry to be so blunt, but I call it the way I see it.

Reply to
evodawg

Hi John,

To answer your question, the fan I want has lights built in to it, it isn't a kit or anything. The fans, which are both the same come with remote controls. Does this mean I don't need a wall switch? Shouldn't the remove me enough? The fans I am getting are really high quality fans and look really good, I doubt we will replace them before/ if we ever move.

This was a question I wanted to ask. Do electricials repair that drywall for the damage that is done when peforming the job? How is this normally repaired?

So guys, thanks for the response. I am in the middle of getting more quotes. It seems like there is some agreement that 253 for no pre existing wiring, with access through a attic crawlspace is too much.

I am correct in this assumption?

John

Reply to
Johndagolfer

Reply to
Johndagolfer

Where do you live? That estimate is not that far off where I come from. Now if you live in the Ozarks then yes it would be off. You could expect a

100.00 estimate from someone in that region. I wonder how many here giving their advice are weekend warriors or qualified electricians?
Reply to
evodawg

I live near Lexington Kentucky. If $253 for no pre exisiting wiring is on par with a crawl space, how much for no crawl space. The downstairs living room has the master bedroom above it.

Reply to
Johndagolfer

Much more I'm afraid. But not knowing the layout I would not even think about giving you an estimate without seeing it. Living where you live I would think you now can get it for cheaper by maybe 100.00 cheaper.

Reply to
evodawg

The cost could vary. If you can stand a conduit run up the wall and across the ceiling, that's not a big expense. If, on the other hand, you have to hire the guy with the longest drill bit in Kentucky - to bore through the joists holding up the bedroom - he might charge a lot for travel.

Reply to
HeyBub

I just put one in my house. I've done several before as well. The one I just did is in an attic with lousy access and blown in insulatrion to crawl through. It's a mess to do and a killer job if the attic is hot. I'd do the one in your living room prior to a paint job as it's hard to cover the holes if the paint is different.

Reply to
Bobo

Most electricians won't even walk through the door for that price. Typical rate is $65 to $95 per hour.

OTOH I had my service upgrade to 100A, added new panel and breakers, added two receptacles a three way switch and an outside light (not including fixture) for $225 labor and material.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ask for 3 bids and recommendations then take your pick. Hiring trades people is not always cheap, but at least you have a good shot at getting it done correctly.

The alternative would be to do it yourself and possibly learn something along the way. It's not difficult to run wire and put in new fans. Just takes some planning and common sense.

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl

Hunter fans do have a wireless remote which controls fan, speed and light. If you can attach the fan to an existing box and use wireless, you're all set.

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl