Electrically boobie-trapping an aluminum sash window

Page 3 of 4

http://www.harborfreight.com/weatherproof-color-security-camera-with-night-vision-95914.html
I've been doing IR CCTV for years and if your perp wears a grey hoody and grey sweats you'll be lucky to get a grainy, fuzzy photo of a guy who could be the Unabomber (especially if he wears shades). At least the wildlife still camera traps have resonable resolution but if detected are stolen or smash up very nicely.
My view? Stalkers demand ambushing and nothing less. It's probably one of the fundamental pillars of human intelligence - learning to reverse predate. Some anthros believed that happened when our ancestors realized that those marks the saw on the ground would lead to food. We moved from senses such as smell to visual senses, like following footprints in the snow. Our eyes improved, our noses got less sensitive and we began to kill anything we could find at either end of those tracks, mammoth or mouse.
That's why when it comes to burglars staking out your house, you gotta catch 'em and learn 'em. Nail 'em up. Nail some *sense* into them! If that's too extreme for your taste, stun batons, baseball bats, and golf clubs all work. I'll bet you could even use a rope net jungle snare and play "Misery" with them until the police come to get them. Or maybe even "Pulp Fiction" or "Deliverance" if your tastes run that way.
-- Bobby G.
On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 06:43:48 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Have a good lawyer on retainer for your manslaughter trial.

<stuff snipped about electrocuting burglars>

You've got the right idea. It's a number one dopey thing to do. But I doubt he would go down for only manslaughter. Maybe if it's Christmas Eve and the DA just won the lottery and felt generous.
It's murder one because a) he came here and asked for advice on how to do it and b) was told of the legal jeopardy issues by many posters. If he still built his sashocuter after knowing all this, it's premeditated murder. It's almost a text-book example of premeditation. We're the meditating part.
While human beings get hot enough to kill over property crimes, the cold dispassionate law doesn't see it that way. Still, I believe it's not an insignificant number of murders that are committed every year over property crimes, and IIRC they are a close second domestic abuse murders.
Some of those killings are truly manslaughter where no one started out with an intent to kill but some guy catches some other guy stealing his brand new (insert stealable item name here) and brains him with a piece of rebar that was just lying around. Could be murder two, could be manslaughter. Depends how many whacks he gave him, etc. I wonder how many people have met their maker at the end of a section of rebar? I'll bet it's more than 100.
-- Bobby G.
On 10/24/2010 6:41 PM, Robert Green wrote:

A while back there was a news story about a local machine shop owner who killed a burglar who broke into his business one night. The dead perp was found with a screwdriver in his cold dead hand. No charges were brought against the machine shop owner and there were no more reported burglaries of his business.
TDD
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Booby traps are illegal per se and have been since, I dunno, the Norman Conquest. Irrespective of whether anyone is hurt by a booby-trap, its mere presence is a crime!
There are many people who could legally enter your property without your permission - or even without your knowledge - and should not be fearful of injury. These people include:
* A police officer with a valid warrant, * A firefighter or other emergency worker, * A child - who has no criminal liability * A civil trespasser trying to get out of the cold * Postal or utility workers, * Game wardens in search of an injured animal * ANYONE who can claim exigent circumstances; that is, where a life was in danger. This could be as simple as a frantic citizen searching your yard for a 2x4 to pry open a smashed door for the auto collision in front of your house!
Note that ALL of the above almost always have a legal right to be in your yard or even your house. Without your knowledge or permission.
It would be legal (and probably cheaper) to simply erect burglar bars on the windows. Or get a dog.
On 10/24/2010 11:56 AM, HeyBub wrote:

I caught part of one of those cops shows some time back and the police were after a drug dealer. After the police smashed their way into the alleged drug dealers apartment and apprehended him, one of the criminal charges was "Making it difficult for police to break in." I was astonished at that and left wondering what jurisdiction it was that had such a law? I wonder if there is a requirement in that jurisdiction that citizens provide a special key to government agents so they may easily bypass their burglar bars?
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Wow!
It wouldn't be too hard to reinforce a door such that the cops couldn't knock it down with the stuff they normally carry (solid steel fire door, refinforced door jambs set in concrete, bars, etc.).
They'd have to call the fire department, which is terribly embarrassing.
The cops would not be in a good mood once they DID get in.
On 10/24/2010 5:50 PM, HeyBub wrote:

I had never heard of such a criminal charge. It reminded me of a law here in Alabamastan where those caught with illegal drugs are charged with "Failure to affix a tax stamp" I have actually asked a couple of sheriffs where such tax stamps can be purchased? One didn't know if the stamps were available and another said they were. It's not illegal for law enforcement personnel to lie to a citizen. :-)
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

But it IS against the law to lie to the government.
On 10/25/2010 7:12 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Government of the people, by the people and for the people? So, cops can lie to the government? 8-)
TDD

I noticed recently that folks like Blago and a number of other were convicted of lying to FBI agents. I thought the Jon Benet Ramsey case proved that you didn't EVER have to talk to a law enforcement officer if you chose not to. How stupid can you be to not only talk to them, but lie to them? Rod Blago stupid, apparently.
-- Bobby G.
On 10/24/2010 6:50 PM, HeyBub wrote:

I had run some lag bolts through the side of the door. I came home one weekend to find the house next to me burned down and my door frame chopped up. The door did not budge until they chopped out the frame. I had a fire idling in the wood stove (a little chimney smoke) and they came in to investigate.
> > The cops would not be in a good mood once they DID get in.
I wasn't in such a good mood either.
Jeff

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I think the second word in your subject line should be spelled booby.
According to SWMBO, boobie trapping is something acomplished by a too-tight bra. <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Are you planning to be home when this happens? That's the only way you could claim a no-retreat "castle defense." Otherwise it sounds just like pre-meditated murder which. Depending on how ugly you are (jury sympathy factor) and the length of your criminal record, a window-sash electrocuter could get you the death sentence.
Ironically, in the State of Florida you get a choice of deaths and electrocution is one of them but probably not by window sill, though. You'd need Johny Cochrane to get you off on a charge like that and that's ain't happening 'cause he be DEAD. (But his chain of law firms took a long time figuring that out, judging by their TV ads.)
-- Bobby G.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You'd think people would know better by now, but I guess not.
Jon
On 10/25/2010 2:03 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

It's entertaining to counter-troll. 8-)
TDD
On 10/25/2010 3:35 PM The Daring Dufas spake thus:

Just don't let that hook get anywhere near your mouth. Damn thing's sharp!
THAT TROLL IS A COMPELTE IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

add a nightime bsecurity camera and record all activity. catch your neighbor vandalyzing proscute him.
thats far better than being charged with murder if a kid happens to get shocked and killed...
then it would be you in legal trouble