Electrical work - would inspector check previously done work?

It's an old home that has only partly been upgraded by the previous owners to 14/2 and 12/2 wiring - the rest is in fabric-sheathed two-wire cables that has no ground wire. I was going to perform some minimal upgrades to provide grounded outlets in two bedrooms, and in the process of figuring out the existing wiring, I found some things that are probably not up to code (our city follows NEC 2002).
My question is this - if I choose to file for a work permit and the inspector comes out to check the new work I've done, would he also check any of the old work and fail the inspection?
In particular I found that the receptacles in the kitchen are not grounded, but have 3-pin receptacles (non-GFCI).
Another problem is that the bathrooms are supposed to be on their own circuit (I believe) but in this house there are some receptacles in other rooms that are on the same circuit.
There are probably other issues too, but anyway, would any of these be part of the inspection or is that "grand-fathered" work that is exempt? Thanks.
-- Himanshu (remove XXX from my email address to reply by email)

If he has no reason to inspect the old stuff, he probably won't even notice. Have you given him a reason to poke at the old wiring?

This is illegal so he can shut you off as soon as he discovers this. Your wiring may be pre-code, but as soon as someone put the three prong outlets in without grounds, your wiring became illegal.

He can flag anything that is unsafe, illegal, etc.
Noozer wrote:

Thanks Noozer. Unfortunately all this work was done by the previous owner. What I will most likely do is replace the ungrounded kitchen outlets with GFCI receptacles with "no equipment ground" marking.
-- Himanshu

In most cases, in most areas, the inspector looks only at what you have obtained a permit to perform.
I suspect it varies from place to place, and even from inspector to inspector. In my town, they check the entire circuit you worked on. I had installed some outlets on a new circuit, and he checked them all, but also checked the grounding, which I had not worked on, to insure there was a jumper across the water meter. He passed me, and never said a word about the knob and tube wiring that was in the same area, in plain view, but on a different circuit.
Himanshu wrote:

there.