Electrical wiring question

I'm planning to do some rewiring in my basement. When I examined the existing wiring, I found that there was a wire running from the breaker box through about 8 receptacles, and all 8 are (obviously) on the same circuit running from the same breaker. It branches in the middle, and the branch is connected together with a wire nut. These are all on the ceiling, and are intended to run lights, 40w x 2 flourescent. If that is all it's used for, there might be 5 or 6 amps running through it if I did the math right.

Question: Is there some limit to how many receptacles you can run the wire through? Assuming the load won't exceed the wire and breaker limit, what is a practical limit?

Reply to
Zootal

RBM