Electrical Wiring Question

The point of origin for that wire has to be inside one of the boxes fed by the GFCI circuit. You should be able to find and disconnect it from inside the box. If you don't want to go to the trouble of figuring that out then just put an electrical box on the end of the wire and nail it up on the floor joist. Cut the wires off if exposed and put a blank cover plate on the box. Also staple the wire up. You could also use the new box as a junction box and continue with new wire to somewhere else where you might want a new outlet. Was there a sump pump are anything like that under there? Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Ricks

Remove it from the dirt, staple it to the framing, and terminate the cable in a junction box.

Reply to
RBM

Thanks for the responses. The junction box looks like the way I'll have to go. How do I need to ""prepare" the end of the cable inside the box? Can I make a new cut on the end of the cable and wrap it with electrical tape or should I put wire nuts on the ends of each individual conductor?

Thanks again, Phil

Reply to
pjmusto

No.

Wire nut the black and white, Connect the green to the box with a grounding screw. With a plastic box, wire nut everything. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

what was it originally used for?

might be better to install a outlet, if power is ever needed down there

Reply to
hallerb

Use wire nuts or electrical tape on the ends of the conductors

Reply to
RBM

If metal box, I would put a wirenut on at least the hot (black) wire and attach the bare ground wire to the grounding screw. You may have to purchase the green grounding screw separately. I like to point the wirenut up so it does not fill with dust or whatever. If the box is plastic I wouldn't worry about wirenuts and no grounding needed. Just strip the outer Romex cover a few inches and separate the wires some. In either case clip any striped wires back to the insulation.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Ricks

Or a light with a pull chain, or both. :)

A light can add enough warmth in the winter to keep pipes from freezing.

Reply to
Terry

put the end in a junction box, and wire nut all conductors. Put a blank cover on the box. (mount the box, don't leave it in the dirt)

S. Barker

Why not, pray tell?

It is on a GFI

Reply to