Electrical Wiring Question

Page 3 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The point of origin for that wire has to be inside one of the boxes fed by the GFCI circuit. You should be able to find and disconnect it from inside the box. If you don't want to go to the trouble of figuring that out then just put an electrical box on the end of the wire and nail it up on the floor joist. Cut the wires off if exposed and put a blank cover plate on the box. Also staple the wire up. You could also use the new box as a junction box and continue with new wire to somewhere else where you might want a new outlet. Was there a sump pump are anything like that under there? Kevin
Add pictures here
✖
Remove it from the dirt, staple it to the framing, and terminate the cable in a junction box.

Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 5, 3:25 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks for the responses. The junction box looks like the way I'll have to go. How do I need to ""prepare" the end of the cable inside the box? Can I make a new cut on the end of the cable and wrap it with electrical tape or should I put wire nuts on the ends of each individual conductor?
Thanks again, Phil
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 5, 3:33 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No.
Wire nut the black and white, Connect the green to the box with a grounding screw. With a plastic box, wire nut everything. HTH
Joe
Add pictures here
✖

what was it originally used for?
might be better to install a outlet, if power is ever needed down there
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 15:09:49 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Or a light with a pull chain, or both. :)
A light can add enough warmth in the winter to keep pipes from freezing.
Add pictures here
✖
Use wire nuts or electrical tape on the ends of the conductors

Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If metal box, I would put a wirenut on at least the hot (black) wire and attach the bare ground wire to the grounding screw. You may have to purchase the green grounding screw separately. I like to point the wirenut up so it does not fill with dust or whatever. If the box is plastic I wouldn't worry about wirenuts and no grounding needed. Just strip the outer Romex cover a few inches and separate the wires some. In either case clip any striped wires back to the insulation.
Kevin
Add pictures here
✖
put the end in a junction box, and wire nut all conductors. Put a blank cover on the box. (mount the box, don't leave it in the dirt)

✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Why not, pray tell?
It is on a GFI