Electrical wiring problem

Page 2 of 2

If the existing wiring is K&T OP might as well replace it now, since he KNOWS its there and thus must disclose it at home sale time or risk being sued later.
Beyond which K&T must be replaced since most insurance companies will refuse to write a new policy with K&T present. My agent for state farm says this is now the case and has been for many years.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

The K&T FUD guy is back. hallerb has the same kind of opinion-parading-as-fact as Evan.
Since K&T is not a code violation, there is no more reason to disclose its existence than Romex. K&T is still in the NEC.

As has been documented in several previous threads, insurance companies may or may not object to K&T.
hallerb has provided no actuarial basis for objecting to K&T. A source provided by hallerb said "Properly installed and unaltered K&T wiring is not an inherent fire hazard." (All improperly altered wiring can be a problem.)
http://web.archive.org/web/20040825060154/http://www.maine.gov/pfr/ins/hearing_2003-13680.htm or http://tinyurl.com/297uk7 is the record of a complaint to the Maine state Bureau of Insurance by a homeowner against an insurance company that denied renewal of a policy based on K&T wiring. The insurance company was ordered to renew the policy because the insurance company "provided no justification for its position that knob and tube wiring per se automatically provides grounds for nonrenewal".
It is the same evidence provided by hallerb - none.
--
bud--

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

The K&T (knob and tube) FUD guy is back. hallerb has the same kind of opinion-parading-as-fact as Evan.
[...]

hallerb has provided the same evidence of risk - none.
--
bud--

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 11:25:42 -0800 (PST), Evan

Hence my original point. It depends on where you live as to what the law says and I can only enforce what the law says. If something is existing and not in the scope of the permitted work it is grand fathered in. I can "suggest" they change something because they can see it but if it is not in the scope of the permitted work I can't make therm do it. The reality is, if this whole circuit is not being replaced, what do you fix by replacing a short segment that is exposed?
Now if they damaged a section in the demo I might be able to get the damaged part replaced but it is essentially what was originally installed there is not much I can do about it ... legally.
Read that again if you are confused
"...without requiring the EXISTING INSTALLATION to comply with all of the requirements of this code."
Nowhere in there does it say anything about "exposed".

Even I will except that you are required to redo any exposed work were you are. You should except that Bud is not absolutely wrong when he says "that is certainly not true here." The "Authority Having Jurisdiction" in your community is not some all powerful arbitrator of what is required in other parts of the country. In most cases the local AHJ has no authority in another part of the State. -- Tom Horne