Electrical Usage

Page 2 of 2
Thats funny. He must have had to install his own service after you turned his power off. Funny how he know who's house to go to when you turned it off.
SQLit wrote:

Most of the time the meter will fail in your favor. It is however possible that it was calibrated incorrectly, or was fiddled with by someone. Your meter is a device that is certified for use in trade, and there should be some government agency in your jurisdiction that has authority to ensure it's performance. Every meter here has the back sealed by the government.

Our electric water heater is our #1 power user. Check for hot water leaks, dripping taps, etc. It takes a lot of energy to heat water.
Other things to watch out for are baseboard heaters, malfunctioning refrigerators, etc. A older furnace with less efficient motors could use more power. Sometimes people will put baseboard heaters to compensate in colder rooms, if the thermostat is cranked up for it then it might end up running all the time (with the heat being carried to the rest of the house). This would be expensive.
-- Steve