electrical troubleshooting

Page 2 of 2

Yes.
On 1/11/2016 4:10 PM, badgolferman wrote:

I hope the cold people in the cold house were properly thankful?
As for me, I do thank you for the follow up, it is good to know what works.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/11/2016 4:10 PM, badgolferman wrote:

I've been known to use a bit of dielectric grease, to reduce the chance of corrosion at some later date.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Monday, January 11, 2016 at 6:18:20 PM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:

No doubt it's your KY substitute...you yammer about it so much! ◖| ◔◡◉|◗

Outside sockets get corroded. Have you looked into the socket to determine its condition? It's also easy to think there's no current at the socket because the meter probes often don't make good contact because of the corrosion. Switches along walls that have a temperature/humidity differential (mostly outside walls) are also subject to corrosion from condensation. I've had the back stabs on an outside wall kitchen fail from what seemed to be corrosion from condensation cycles.
Another thing I've seen in cases like yours is that a junction box or upstream outlet got rerouted or disconnected.
You definitely need at least a pencil-style non-contact current indicator to futz around with outside stuff because the corrosion can otherwise fool you into thinking the line's deactivated.
I'd also get a fox/hound wire tracing set. That would allow you to trace the wire back and perhaps discover where it's become disconnected. Coincidentally the bedroom and bathhroom lost power over night. The breakers were untripped and power was coming out of each breaker at the circuit box as evidenced by a tong meter.
Because my bud and I had just been working on the main panel, we were certain that was where the problem was likely to be. But no amount of inspection or probing with a wooden dowel revealed anything. The solution came this morning, quite by accident. It
ubleshooting tips do you have?