electrical switch

Page 1 of 2
so I installed a light switch connected to two separate light sockets. One way the switch lights one light, the other way, the other light.
I have two cables coming into the switch box. One from a socket from whence it derives power, the other going out to a socket, newly installed, which is the "end of the line".
In the normal "on" position, the original socket works as it should.
In the off position, it will turn on the new socket that I just ran my 12/2 with. Of course the other light bulb is now off.
What gives?

You need to change the switch to a 3-way

OK, Considering that...
I have my blacks twisted under one nut, whites twisted under another. Any advice...?

Care to explain how you came up with that suggestion?
What in the OP indicates the need for a 3-way switch?

elsewhere - ponyPop
On 3/7/2012 2:26 PM, ng_reader wrote:

To wire the second light, you should have run the cable from the first light, not the switch. You have only two wires coming into the switch from the existing light. This is a switch leg and a return. You don't have a feed, which consists of a hot leg and a neutral. What you've done is wired the second light in series with the first.

I'm glad you could figure that out. I've read it several times and have no idea WTF he's talking about or what the problem is.
On 3/7/2012 3:10 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I was laughing myself, trying to figure out WTF he could have done. Then the word Nube came into my mind. It was all clear from there

RBM you were quite helpful, however we could probably live without the condescension. I mean, really, what kinds of questions do you think are supposed to be posted here?
I remember hiring an electrician to help with a 3-way circuit and watching him scratch his head at the top of his ladder. So, even experts I reckon can get a little confused when dealing with electricity.
On 3/7/2012 6:19 PM, ng_reader wrote:

It's not condescension, it was a revelation. My thoughts, like Trader's, was that the whole scenario made no sense. Then I thought of the pitfalls of nubes, and it made perfect sense. What you did is routinely done by inexperienced folks. But, once you get it, you got it.

Then they are not experts.
I fellow where I work has his electrical license and I would not let him change batteries in my flashlight. You should hear some of the stories he tells on himslef about jobs he does outside the plant.
I have been working in a large factory with everything from low voltage instruments to 480 3 phase stuff, and a bit of higher voltage.
I am glad RBM got this one. I was thinking he had used a 3 way switch witht he hot wires from each light going to the two switched screws and one light would go on and then the other one would go on as the switch was flipped. That is either one or the other was on and the other one was off.

And my remarks about not being able to understand WTF the OP was talking about, which he seems to have taken offense to, were not directed toward any lack of electrical expertise. They were directed at not being able to explain what he was talking about or asking.

Well, now he/OP has said he wants both lights to come on at the same time.
On 3/7/12 3:05 PM, RBM wrote:

Years ago my neighbor did a similar "mis-wiring". He was installing a yard light that had a photocell for on/off, and an outlet on the post. Then he was trying to drill holes for a street number sign, plugging the drill into the outlet, but the drill would not run. From across the street I could see that every time he pulled the trigger, a light in his basement would go on. After I stopped laughing, we looked at what he had done, and sure enough the switch box he used, being the nearest thing to where the yard light wire came into house, was a "switch leg". BTW, the white wire was *not* tagged with black tape, not that he would have known what that meant anyway.

My first thought was to run off the first light, but I had no more knock-outs to knock out. It had all the cables it could manage! I could have added a junction box right next to it, but, opted instead to remove and replace the light switch with a larger box able to accommodate the additional cables. I think I will try the 3-way switch as that sounds logically like it might work.
On 3/7/2012 4:12 PM, ng_reader wrote:

It's not going to work. You don't have the necessary wires to do what you want
On 3/7/2012 4:16 PM, RBM wrote:

Yes, now that makes sense. Dammit.

http://imgur.com/yvmsf

Thanks for your effort, but, I'm not sure it "works". But I should have a 3-way around, to see if that will work out.
And, I'll just keep screwing and unscrewing copper till it does.
Also, I'll answer this here as well, but, the box with existing light fixture was "full up". I could either put a junction box right next to it, but, instead chose to make the run back to the light switch.

That would be fun to watch.