Electrical socket problem

Last night, we had a power outage. When the power came back on, we noticed that the electrical sockets in our bathrooms did not work anymore, as well as the lightbulb socket in the garage. They had all been working prior to the power outage. The electrical sockets in the other parts of the house are still working. We checked the circuit breaker, and nothing was tripped. Any idea what is going on?

Did you cycle the breaker(s) to off and then on? In my previous house, a couple of breakers did LOOK as if they'd tripped, but they had sort of a center position which, in dim light, looked normal.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Do you have a GFCI outlet anywhere?
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Yes, although we never use them. But since we have one or two of those, what should we do?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

one of those might have tripped when the power went out or came back on (or an outlet somewhere might have gotten wet if you had a bad storm and tripped the GFCI,) that would kill everything downstream of it. just hit the reset button on all of them and see what happens.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Thanks, that worked!

Try pushing the reset button on each GFI receptacle.
On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 19:59:55 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

I call them receptacles or outlets. I call sockets the things one screws lightbulbs into.