Electrical Service to Oven and Cook Top

I currently have an electric oven and cook top. I am going to replace the cook top with gas and Keep the Oven. Currently the breaker pannel is set up to provide a total of 100 amps to both. It is rigged so that there is one 40amp breaker and two 30 amp breakers tied together. I am not sure if it is 120 or 240. What would make the most sense 120 or

240? It seems to me the oven should be 240. The cook top might go either way. Is there an easy way to figure this out?

Question 2: I will need to move the oven. I am going to need to run additional wire to get to the new location. Assuming it is 240 and about 40 - 60 amps is it legal to run the old wire into a Junction box and then splice the new wire into the old wire and continue the run out of the junction box? Or, would it be better to terminate the old wire at a small breaker panel and then continue the new run out of the panel?

Thanks!

Reply to
Gerry

It's not likely that you have one 40 amp breaker. More likely a quad breaker with a double pole 30 amp in the center and single 40 amp breakers above and below the 30's which should have a handle tying them together. Both appliances should be 240 volt. If the cable to the oven is 4 wire, there is no reason you can't run it into an accessible junction box and extend it

Reply to
RBM