Electrical Service For The Garage

I had a garage built and am wiring the building with 200A service myself. At Lowe's, they have a sign that says the lead-in cabling for 200A service needs to be 4/0 - 4/0 - 4/0 - 2/0 aluminum cable. But, one of their workers says that is wrong that the service cable must be that size, but in copper. Anyone know for sure?

Dont do the work yourself, and don't hire that HD worker to do the work.
Get a qualifed electrician, since from your post I'm not sure if you want a new service, or a subpanel.
later,
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info
Rick wrote:

You don't provide enough information to answer the question. Is this cable to be used before or after the first disconnecting means? Is the service to your home to be single phase or three phase? Is the service supplied via overhead or underground conductors?
--
Tom Horne

Tom Horne, Electrician wrote:

The cable will be before the first disconnect. It will lead from the connection point where the electric company will provide service up to the meter base and then from there into the main breaker panel. The main service disconnect is on the main breaker panel. The service is three-phase and underground.
Thanks
Tom Horne, Electrician wrote:

> The cable will be before the first disconnect. It will lead from the > connection point where the electric company will provide service up to > the meter base and then from there into the main breaker panel. The > main service disconnect is on the main breaker panel. The service is > three-phase and underground. > > Thanks >
gfretwell has answered the question. The cable you described in your original post is suitable for the single phase feeder between the main disconnecting means and the lighting and appliance panel board/s in a residence but it is not allowed for the service entry conductors of a three phase two hundred ampere dwelling service.
--
Tom Horne

OK Fer Sure, you need 3/0 copper or 250 Kcmil aluminum for the feeder to a 200a sub-panel unless it is the main feeder for a "dwelling". A garage is not a dwelling so 310.16 applies.
2/0 is sufficient for 200A in copper.
--
Steve Barker