Electrical Service Box Questions ?

Hello:

Will probably have a contractor put in a new electrical service box in the near future, and have just started thinking about it a bit.

The present box is small physically, and also has only 100 amp service.

A larger box in physical dimensions can probably be put in the space that is available. (the box is recesed behind a wall with a door in the plasterboard)

But -

It will probably be impossible to have the usual metal door covering the service box in place, as I do not think there will be enough "swing room" for it to open adequately.

Questions:

a. How necessary is this metal door ? Is it mainly just to keep dust out ?

b. Is it a Code requirement to have one ?

c Any brands to stay away from ? (Sq D still considered the one to go with ?)

Also: Is there any disadvantage to using those half-thickness circuit breakers ? Just as reliable, etc. ?

Thanks, B.

Reply to
Robert11

Not all panels have doors, it's just more attractive especially where the panel is in a finished location. There are various opinions regarding breaker manufacturers and half sized breakers but Square D is always regarded as one of the best

Reply to
RBM

On 8/14/2005 7:14 AM US(ET), Robert11 took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Breaker boxes are not all the same and the doors usually do not extend to the width of the panel. I have a Bryant 200 AMP box, installed some

20 years ago, and the panel cover size is 15-1/2" W by 25" H. The door size is 9-1/2" W by 20-1/2" H, leaving 3" of panel cover on either side. My door is wider than the double column of breakers to allow writable white squares next to each breaker for identification of the circuit controlled by the individual breakers. Recently, my neighbor had a 200 AMP box installed to replace a 100 AMP service. His door was narrower than mine and just covered the breakers because the writable identification squares were on the inside of the door rather than next to the breakers (I don't recall the make of the box).

I have a 2 duplex breakers in my panel (4-15 AMPs) , and they work just fine. The only problem is that if one side of the duplex breaker fails, I have to replace the whole duplex breaker. I have not had that happen... Yet. My 200 AMP panel will only allow 10 of the 30 breaker spaces for duplex breakers.

Reply to
willshak

My Murray 200 Amp panel overall measures 40" X 15 1/2 ". The door itself measures 35 1/2" X 11" .

Reply to
Mikepier

Mikepier posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

WOW!!! That's fantastic info - NOT

Reply to
Tekkie®

So what's the problem?

Reply to
Mikepier

Mikepier posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Ok, I'll bite; once. Who cares what your electrical box & door size is?

Reply to
Tekkie®

Bite this.

Reply to
Mikepier

Mikepier posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Can't find it there Milktoast. Get your tweezers out to find your string first there Doogey.

Reply to
Tekkie®