Electrical service beside bathroom

I had my house built about 15 years ago. I have a half bath behind my laundry room. Anyway It has a shoer and sink. I am debating redoing it ab putting a bathtub in it and toilet and sink.

My question is, on the other side of the prefab shower wall is the service entrance to my house in the garage. This passed code but is this a good idea?

Reply to
stryped

As long as there is a wall between, why not? The main panel is not going to fall in the tub is it?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Is there a finished wall behind the shower wall, or is it just covering open studs. In either case you will have to cover the wall with sheetrock before installing a tub

Reply to
hrhofmann

There is a wall and it is sheet rocked. It just seems odd having 200 amp service on the other side of my shower.

Reply to
stryped1

Why? Are you more apt to reach through the shower wall than some other wall in the house?

P.S. Please don't top post in this group. Standard etiquette is to bottom post. Thanks.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

There's alot of bathrooms that have one electrical wire behind the shower wall or two, if there are multiple bedrooms or three way switches.

Plenty of hot tubs or jacuzzis with live electrical connection to the tub while you shower.

As long as the wall is finished and your plumbing doesn't throw a leak upwards towards the panel you are fine.

What has you worried?

Reply to
Dusenberg

Well, this is the thing. Very small half bath behind laundry room. It is a = pre made small shower and mop sink. Because of my growing family. I would l= ike to put a tub/shower in here add a regular sink and toilet. I am trying = to figure out if I put a tub/shower in how to configure it without having t= o run a water line up the same wall the service for the electrical is on th= e other side of.

Not to change the subject, but I know my shower has one drain. If I put a t= ub in I will have a drain and an overflow drain. Can these both be in the s= ame line? I am trying to figure out if all this can be done without ripping= apart the walls. I have acess beneath the floor in the crawl space. I real= ly dont want to start tearing out drywall.

Reply to
stryped1

in I will have a drain and an overflow drain. Can these both be in the same line? I am trying to figure out if all this can be done without ripping apart the walls. I have acess beneath the floor in the crawl space. I really dont want to start tearing out drywall.

There is only one connection for the tub drain. They merge

Reply to
gfretwell

a pre made small shower and mop sink. Because of my growing family. I would= like to put a tub/shower in here add a regular sink and toilet. I am tryin= g to figure out if I put a tub/shower in how to configure it without having= to run a water line up the same wall the service for the electrical is on = the other side of.

tub in I will have a drain and an overflow drain. Can these both be in the= same line? I am trying to figure out if all this can be done without rippi= ng apart the walls. I have acess beneath the floor in the crawl space. I re= ally dont want to start tearing out drywall.

Here is just one of a gazillion images of a typical tub drain set up. The overflow is to prevent the water from overflowing the edges of the tub if the main tub drain is left closed and unattended. You'll note that they merge into a single pipe at the bottom.

Granted, if the main drain gets clogged, even the overflow won't help, but I have never seen the overflow drain connected to a "secondary drain system". Think about it..how far back would you run the secondary drain system to prevent a primary drain clog from being a problem? You'd have to run it all the way to the sewer.

As for your original question, I don't understand why you are so concerned with water pipes running inside the wall near the electrical service.

Do you not think that there are water pipes and electrical wires near each other inside the walls of your house?

Oh my gosh, look at this! Electrical wires, drain pipes and water pipes all in the same space.

What exactly has you concerned about putting a water pipe on the other side of the wall that holds your electrical service?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I guess it is worry for nothing. But it is the 200 amp main wires going to the main panel. (Obviously no breaker to trip in that scenario). It is actually the main wires from the meter to the main electric panel.

Reply to
stryped1