Electrical service - 240v line

Page 4 of 4

Actually the situation is the opposite. I want a balanced line for my pretentious, snobbis audiophile dedicated sound room. But I'm really not keen on buying amplifiers specially keyed for this puropse, although they do sell them. What I'd prefer is to have the balanced line, but to use it with regular 120v audio gear. What I might actually want is a step *down* transformer. What do you think?
jeffc wrote:

You only need a isolation transformer, I think. Try Hammond Power Solutions.
Jake

You could get a 240V to 120V step-down transformer and run it that way.
But a 120V isolation transformer would probably be cheaper. While it'd be balanced in a sense, the real problem is that both lines are now "floating" (no ground reference). Which can lead to its own noise problems. So, you buy a 120V isolation with a center tap on the secondary, and ground that. Properly balanced.
[Don't try this with some tube gear!]
But frankly, you'd be better off with line filters.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Even if all the gear being used is run on that same circuit? I would think there would be no grounding and thus no potential ground loop.

There's more to noise than ground loops. An entirely floating AC loop is more likely to pick up and induce RF noise into a power supply, for example.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

An independent electrician or a homeowner would do it.
Most likely (although not 100% guaranteed) your house has 240V coming in. If so, then it is just an inside the home wiring issue. It may be more difficult if your panel's capacity is already fully utilized.