Electrical/Sensor Switch Suggestions/Recommendations?

I'm finally getting around to installing an auxiliary fan in my dryer vent line. I'm planning on using a 12V inline bilge blower fan available from marine accessory dealers (west marine, boat US, etc). My dryer uses a flexible aluminum hose for the first 6-8 feel then it connects to a rigid aluminum vent mounted horizontally under my deck and exits 18' later. While this works well and gets the moisture well away the drying times have increased somewhat. A previous post to this group recommended several "boost" alternatives and the bilge blower make the most sense as it is moisture resistant.

The blower will be installed inline between the flexible hose and the rigit vent pipe (same diameter of 4"). Being 12V it will be powered by a transformer connected to AC.

So, here's where my question comes in... in lieu of a hard switch located at the dryer location, does anyone know of a type of switch that will detect when the power is on to the dryer. I am aware of moisture sensors, electrical load sensors, etc., but does anyone know of anything that will allow the 12V transformer or blower to be activated when the dryer is on and deactivated when the dryer goes off?

Thanks in advance for all your terrific suggestions!

Bob

Reply to
Bob_M

I suggest you get one of the available over the counter dryer vent booster fans.

I got one from Winans Electric Motor last January, cost me less than $170 total and came complete. It works well and was easy to install. It has a pressure switch to turn it on and off.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thanks gents; You both referenced the same vent booster fan assembly with integrated automatic switch. Sounds like a much better plan than my own. I definitely will try this one.

Thanks again.

Bob

Reply to
Bob_M