Electrical Safety Quiz

Page 1 of 2
* Electrical Safety Quiz *
You're unplugging an electrical cord, when suddenly one of the prongs breaks off inside the outlet. What would you do? (Select one or more below):
----
1. Panic and run out of the house
2. Call the fire dept.
3. Move to another house
4. Hang a "Safety First" sign above the outlet
5. Call the police and report a bomb scare
6. Call the hospital and tell them you'll soon need an ambulance
7. Do nothing, just hope it falls out on it's own
8. Immediatly grab it with your fingers and pull
9. Call a plumber
10. Drink a beer, then plug the cord back into the outlet
11. Use a bare metal plyers and pull it out real fast, before it shocks you
12. Just ignore it
13. Call an electrician
14. Write a letter to Santa Claus asking him to remove it on Christmas
15. Have the power company permanently shut off your electricity
16. Stop using that outlet forever
17. Replace the entire outlet
18. Toss a pail of water on it
19. Have your spouse remove it with a kitchen fork
20. Shut off the breaker and carefully remove it with insulted plyers
21. Ask how to do it on alt.home.repair
22. Pray real hard
23. Shake the wall and hope it falls out
24. Cover the outlet and that whole wall with duct tape
25. Stand in a pail of water and place your tongue against it to see what happens
26. Take photos of the electricity leaking out
27. Call your lawyer and sue the manufacturer of the faulty cord
28. Pay some neighbor kid 50 cents to pull it out with his teeth
29. Cut off the other prong from the cord and stick it in the other side of the outlet
30. File a written complaint to the federal Government
31. Spray it with insecticide
32. Nail a board over it
33. Evacuate the entire neighborhood
34. See if you can cook a hotdog on it
35. Shut all the doors and windows so no electricity escapes
36. Put on welding gloves and try to grab it and pull it out
37. Call your psychiatrist and tell them that this outlet wants to kill you
38. Grab your Sawsall or chainsaw, and remove that part of the wall
39. Pour some strong acid on it to dissolve the metal prong
40. Shoot it with a rifle
41. Piss on it
42. Burn the house down and collect the insurance money
43. Try to push it in further with another cord
44. Register to take a course at a Technical College for Electrical Safety
45. Call the Weather Bureau
46. Notify your local TV News
47. Go to your bomb shelter
48. Take some tranquilizers and go to bed
49. Call the "Red Cross" and FEMA
50. Shut off your main gas valve by the gas meter
PLACE YOUR ANSWERS BELOW. (by number)
My pliers were insulted when I told them they were too small. M

I got slapped one time when I reached for a needle nose.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

This is so dumb. Just replace the plug on the end of the power cord.
taxed and spent wrote:

Not meant to be funny. It's to see if you know what to do Obviously, you would not know what to do and would be the furst one to get electrocuted!
On 1/23/2016 11:10 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Tony complains about bandwidth while full quoting.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

He had to full quote to show that the previous poster full quoted. Just like the pigs have to speed to check you're speeding.
-- If you own a 3,000 machine gun and a 5,000 rocket launcher, but you can't afford shoes, you may be a Muslim.
On 1/23/2016 6:06 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Ah, that makes total sense. So, I'll flame your useless lard ass to show that you flamed my ass?
This really improves the mood and joy and gaity on the list. I'm pleased to hear from you, idiot ;)
Again, thank you.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

You hit the nail on the head with the "idiot" moniker. He(?) sounds as abrasive as someone else here that uses a military prefix to his name. Could it be the same "idiot?"

Does your dictionary have "person who disgrees with the opinions of Gordon" against the entry for idiot?
--
TEACHER: Millie, give me a sentence starting with "I"
MILLIE: I is..

I had a military prefix years ago, but I haven't been in this group before about 2 weeks ago.
--
TEACHER: Millie, give me a sentence starting with "I"
MILLIE: I is..

Sez the idiot who quoted the *entire post*.
On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 06:26:23 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Unlikely. You have to shake the house.

I thought that was when you were making popcorn.

I don't have a funny answer, but I would:
1. Turn off the power

Even if I could get the broken prong out of the outlet without causing more damage, I wouldn't know for sure the outlet wasn't faulty. Basic outlets cost less than a dollar and I usually always have spares on hand. Safer and easier just to replace the outlet.
3. Turn power back on.
4. Replace the electrical cord, or install a new plug on the end of the cord.

How could a broken outlet possibly eat a prong?
--
TEACHER: Clyde, your composition on "My Dog" is exactly the same as your brother's. Did you copy his?
CLYDE : No, sir. It's the same dog.

Why did the prong get stuck in the outlet in the first place? Are the terminals inside the outlet bent or something?
Even if the outlet is in perfect condition, how am I going to get the prong out. If it's really stuck inside the outlet, I would need to resort to needle nose pliers, and/or poke something in to wedge it out. Depending on how stuck it is, I would probably cause more damage to the outlet.
Seriously, it's safer and easier to just replace the outlet.
On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 16:20:21 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband

Of it's REALLY stuck, replace the outlet. But if it just broke because you or someone/something else, tripped on the cord, you can usually just remove that prong. Just make sure the power is OFF when you do.
I cant think of this ever happening to me inside the house, but it's happened several times outdoors. I could have an extension cord for my power tools in an outlet, and some lumber falls down, ripping that cord out of the outlet. Hence, a prong is broke off. If I have to do a repair around livestock, they are prone to knocking stuff down and yanking out cords. Sure, I try to keep them out of my work area, there are times when that is not always 100% possible.
On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 18:16:52 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband

Finally, someone with a correct answer!
I have had this happen a few times. Mostly because I tripped on the cord. In that case, I just shut the power off, test to make sure it's off, then remove the prong with a plyers.
If however, the plug overheated and broke off, I would replace the outlet. I actually had a prong weld itself in an outlet once.
I didn't call the FBI :)