Electrical questions

Pulling wire questions.... newbie questions. basement remodel

  1. The bottom of my outlet box is a hammer length which is about 12"-13" or so. The holes above the box that i am pulling are at 25". Is this too high for the hole? Is there a limit ?? I am going to run another line just above the 25" hole at about 28" to get the wire to another room. It seems like the cleanest way to do it.

  1. I have a situation where my top plate is connected to a floor joist lengthwise. I need to get the wire from a switchbox up to the ceiling for a light fixture. I am not sure how I can run the wire without notching the joist, or drilling a hole in the top plate into the floor joist.

Reply to
JackRabbit

  1. You can route the wire whatever is convenient...just tack it within the code distance of the box. Typically one tries to make the runs to conserve wire, but if there are other reasons overriding...
  2. Bad layout plan... :) But, a 2x4 top plate on a 2xX joist leaves
3-1/2 less 1-1/2 ==> ~ 2" clearance to get the wire through the top plate. If you put the plate flush to one side of the joist and need the wire in the other cavity, run it up through the plate then through the joist...the hole through the joist should be near the middle, not at the top or bottom edge...
Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Reply to
JackRabbit

  1. I have not a clue what your talking about.
  2. notching/drilling floor joists is always a bad idea especially in mid span. IMO. If this is structural connection it should be a double top plate. If it is a single plate then the wall is not supporting the floor joist.

Consider running the wire horizontally closer to the ends of the floor joist then.... You could drill up from the plate at an angle to get into accessable space to run the wire. Use as small a hole as you can.

Reply to
SQLit

Through a joist there's no code limitation--simply the practicality of the pull. Two 12/2 will go pretty easily, 2-12/3's probably pretty tight...what's the big problem w/ drilling one or two holes where you need them?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Yes. Two 12-2 NM cables will fit snugly through a 5/8" hole, and easily through a 3/4" or larger hole.

Doug Miller