Electrical question - adding a neutral

Page 3 of 3

Fine on that. Those electronic ballast sure weigh a lot less than the older transformer types. I replaces a lot of them where I worked. Sure wish they had those when I first started, especially for the 8 foot long tubes. Just about all I could do to hold on to those with one hand and put the screw in with the other hand, especially when up about 10 feet on a ladder. This was in a very large industrial plant. We did lights when other projects were slack.
On 3/21/2013 6:05 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

the screw gun even more. I remember the days of holding a 4/96 pan up against the ceiling with my head, while I bang a hole through the sheet metal with my awl, then stick a #10 slotted sheet metal screw through the hole, and have to screw a half dozen turns before I could relax. Nowadays the sheet metal is paper thin, the ballasts are feather light, no wonder I don't have those bulging biceps anymore.

*Roy you caused me to have flashbacks of my youth. My father worked on many shopping centers when I was a teenager. I remember doing it exactly like you said with the awl and using my head a support. I miss that about as much as I miss drilling into masonry with a hammer and hand drill to insert a few Rawl plugs.
On 3/21/2013 7:04 PM, John Grabowski wrote:

carbide bit. Throw that star drill away!!
On Thursday 21 March 2013 20:08 RBM wrote in alt.home.repair:

That's forward thinking...
Useful if we (in the EU) did that. There's a lot of problems with dimmer switches, particularly electronic ones (that is, more complicated than a simple triac/diac/pot) causing flashing when "off" when combined with LED and CFL lamps - all because the switch has to pass some current to power its own circuits, even when notionall off.
Never a problem with a lump of tungsten to neutral - but that fraction of a mA is enough to build up in the capacitors in electronic lamps and cause blinking.
Personally, I wish they'd bite the bullet and devise a *universal* 3 connection lamp holder - live/neutral and control - and get around all the problems with dimming by butchering the supply waveform.
*uviversal* - not one for GEC, one for Philips, one for Megathingy from china, etc etc...