Electrical question

When running a new 20 amp circuit, I have seen a few sites that say you can have up to 12+ outlets on the circuit. Dumb question..... Is a duplex outlet counted as two ?? I know this question sounds nuts, but I can't seem to find the answer.
Thank you. BTW, this is for a basement remodel.
No; Duplex outlet = 1. But I wouldn't put 12 on 1 circuit....
I am glad I asked the question. Thanks.
How many would you put on a 20 amp circuit ? 15 amp circuit ?
I actually got these numbers from a book : 10 for 15 amp circuits, 13 for a 20 amp circuit.

Hmmm I guess I should rephrase... I wouldn't put 12 on one circuit ... on the same floor. Sorry bout that.

Are you sure?
What is important is load not the number of outlets.

AFAIK, the NEC doesn't have a limit on the number of outlets on a circuit. As always, your local codes may vary.
You'll see various outlets / circuit rules of thumb bandied about (the number varies depending on how many watts / sq ft you want to assume), but 15A circuits are usually given as 10 to 12, and 20A circuits around 14 to 16.
"Outlets" usually refers to as a place where a load can be plugged in, so normally a duplex would count as two outlets.
You can do whatever you want. If you expect to using more than a few outlets at the same time you might want to run more than one circuit cause you will only have 20a to spread among your 12 outlets. In fact, why not run a multiwire circuit? You get two circuits by running one cable.
BTW, you know the outlets have to be GFCI.

I'm not an electrician but you may find this useful: http://www.codecheck.com/numberoutlets.htm
In commercial applications, you figure 1.5 amps per outlet or 10 on a 15 amp circuit and 13 on a 20 amp circuit. In residential wiring its figured by square foot,but you be the judge by what you are planning to use in the room. Any outlets in "unfinished" spaces must be GFCI protected

imho:
Per the 2002 NEC codes, not limit to dwelling number of recepticles on a branch.
For commercial(forgive me don't have the book open right now, so look this up yourself), I believe the limit is 180 va's per outlet, meaning 1.5 volts or 10 outlets per 15a circuit, and or 13 per 20a circuit.
But personally, I wouldn't answer your dwelling question without knowing what load you intend on putting on it. Example, if it was a shop you are wiring, I might just go with one outlet if I knew I was puting something big by it.
hth,
tom @ www.Love-Calculators.com