Electrical Question

I live in the Dallas area and use TU Electric. My question is, how do I open my meter base (which is sealed) to wire in a copper ground wire from a ground rod? Will TU allow this? Thanks

Reply to
JW

I don't know why not. Just cut the seal, open the meter case, and do your work. Then contact them and tell them what you did, and next time they come to read the meter to bring a new seal with them.

Reply to
indago

That meter is sealed so that only they open it. Call them first and ask. They don't like broken seals often associates with electricity theft.

That ground rod must make an earth> I live in the Dallas area and use TU Electric. My question is, how

Reply to
w_tom

Might vary from utility to utility, but around here the inspectors require a earth ground at the meter box. I just helped a friend install a service about

3 weeks ago and we had to drive a ground rod at the meter for the inspector to approve the electrical hookup.

Bobby

Reply to
BGBevill

If there is a load on that circuit and you are grounded anywhere you will get zapped.

Reply to
Lou W

If there is a grounding problem, then the neutral can be at a potential higher than ground. In this case, if you touch the neutral and are grounded you will be shocked.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

Yes!

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Since you cannot turn the neutral off without disconnecting the wiring somewhere at its source, any electrical work will involve touching the neutral. If there are no major problems with the wiring, and it is all working properly, then it is safe.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

I've tingled myself on on a couple times.

First one was when I pulled a neutral off the bar to move it, and didn't shut off the breaker.

Other time was when the neutral wasn't making good contact at the connector bar.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon