Electrical Question

I live in the Dallas area and use TU Electric. My question is, how do I open my meter base (which is sealed) to wire in a copper ground wire from a ground rod? Will TU allow this? Thanks
030628 1914 - JW wrote:

I don't know why not. Just cut the seal, open the meter case, and do your work. Then contact them and tell them what you did, and next time they come to read the meter to bring a new seal with them.
That meter is sealed so that only they open it. Call them first and ask. They don't like broken seals often associates with electricity theft.
That ground rod must make an earthing connection to breaker box - not meter box. Some utilities are quite explicit that no earthing connection is permitted to meter box.
JW wrote:

Might vary from utility to utility, but around here the inspectors require a earth ground at the meter box. I just helped a friend install a service about 3 weeks ago and we had to drive a ground rod at the meter for the inspector to approve the electrical hookup.
Bobby

If there is a load on that circuit and you are grounded anywhere you will get zapped.

If there is a grounding problem, then the neutral can be at a potential higher than ground. In this case, if you touch the neutral and are grounded you will be shocked.
Frank
Yes!
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Since you cannot turn the neutral off without disconnecting the wiring somewhere at its source, any electrical work will involve touching the neutral. If there are no major problems with the wiring, and it is all working properly, then it is safe.

I've tingled myself on on a couple times.
First one was when I pulled a neutral off the bar to move it, and didn't shut off the breaker.
Other time was when the neutral wasn't making good contact at the connector bar.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus