Electrical problems, but what could it be?

Hi all, My 1st post here.
I have been going through more light bulbs than I think I should be. Could this be do to bad electrical work on the house? When ever the clothes washer is running we can see the lights slightly pulsing in rhythm of the motor. When we start the gas dryer, the lights dim for a short moment too.
What do you think could cause this and how do you think I could correct it?
Thanks in advanced, Nick.
An electrician would be the smart thing to consider
I'm not saying dig around in your panel if you're not comfortable doing so, safety first and all that. But I would shut off the mains and then go through and check that all the neutrals and grounds are tight. Sometimes the little set screws get loose, and exibit some of the behaviors you're seeing.
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hi all, My 1st post here.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I have been going through more light bulbs than I think I should be.&nbsp; Could this be do to bad electrical work on the house?</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>When ever the clothes washer is running we can see the lights slightly pulsing in rhythm of the motor.&nbsp; When we start the gas dryer, the lights dim for a short moment too.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>What do you think could cause this and how do you think I could correct it?</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks in advanced,</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Nick.</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Nick Z. wrote:

You did a good job of describing both ends of a floating neutral problem. Mark explained what to do. If you have any questions about what he wrote or any reservations about doing what he wrote, then call in a pro and tell him what you wrote and he should be able to fix it right up. BTW this can be a fire hazard and can damage all kinds of electronic equipment.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
What's a floating neutral problem?
Dave

the house. This allows wide fluctuations in voltage on the two hot legs of a 240V service, and it's very dangerous.