Electrical problem for the gurus


The first floor of our house is about 40 years old. The 2nd floor is about 18 years old. Almost all of the electrical outlets on the first floor give a maddening, stress-inducing effect when anything is plugged into them. Someone said this is caused by a strong electromagnetic field. I can't explain the sensation, but immediate stress/anxiety sets in when something is plugged in. Also, our UPS battery backup has a built-in "Building Wiring Fault" light, and all the outlets that cause this stress also fail the wiring test. Now, upstairs, everything is great and none of the outlets have this problem.
Can somebody offer any clue as to what might be the problem, and where to begin looking/working? If we did get an electrician, would they think we were crazy if we told them what some of the downstairs outlets were doing to us? BTW, only a couple of people in my family can "feel" the effect of the bad outlets. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
This sounds like a troll. The description of a maddening effect is a bit much to believe.
You get get a good tester and take readings of all the outlets.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
We're gonna hire an electrician to test the outlets, like you suggested. What's a troll, btw? Thanks.
On Dec 11, 8:33 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
matthew spake thus:

Generally two varieties. One lives under bridges, as you already know; the other posts annoying/aggravating/irritating messages on fora such as this.

--
Just as McDonald\'s is where you go when you\'re hungry but don\'t really
care about the quality of your food, Wikipedia is where you go when
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I think you wandered wayyy off topic there, buddy.
We'll post back on what the electrician says. Someone was saying the wiring fault is occuring b/c of improper grounding.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
matthew spake thus:

And this is a problem how? What, do you think there's some committee here enforcing posting and making sure threads stay on-topic?
You asked a question; I answered it.

>>>

[...]
--
Just as McDonald\'s is where you go when you\'re hungry but don\'t really
care about the quality of your food, Wikipedia is where you go when
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Hire a professional. You need an electrician a physician and mental health therapist. All professionals.
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 05:45:00 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

You forgot the Priest. he probably needs to have his outlets exorcised just to be sure.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
watt did you say? :) looks like to me the UPS has spotted a wiring problem. there may be a voltage drop due to your electric heaters in use. first have your utility company check the service lines to your home and the wiring at the meter and main panel for free. next the fun begins. the effect you describe may just be the dimming of the lights, like at my house the refrigerator kicks on and the 300 watt quartz halogen reading lamp dims slightly but annoyingly. do any problems disappear from the UPS when you unplug any particular appliance in the home? your electrician will advise you of any main panel service problems, and have him update your switches and outlets which will eliminate any internal sparking effects. some of these may be noticed in a dark room. if you are plugging in a tv, the degaussing coil demagnetizes the tv screen when you first turn it on. the effect on you is not likely a magnetic problem but you can check for any magnetic changes with an inexpensive camping compass. for the other non-believers, they get to make an aluminum foil hat. :) i am confident that your electricians actually have some work to do in your home and the older downstairs wiring may have some hot/neutral/ground issues.
matthew wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.