electrical problem

I'm having a problem with an electrical circuit in my home. The power goes out only in one section and hours to days later it may come on again for no apparent reason and then off again. I was able to isolate the breaker when power resumed. It's a double 30 amp breaker and it doesn't flip off but still no power. It only controls doorbell and an outlet in the garage. I've checked for loose wires but haven't found anything. I've flipped the breaker on and off and still nothing. I think at one time this was for an electric water heater but have switched to gas over 20 years ago. Could the breaker be bad? I would appreciate any suggestions.

thanks in advance.

Phil

---------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 57 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try

for free now!

Reply to
Phil

A double 30 to a door bell... not likely

Please seek a pro locally

Reply to
SQLit

I presume one 30a is for the doorbell and the other is for the garage? If not, then I am confused.

30a is way too much for either use. Take this opportunity to buy a pair of 15a (or whatever) breakers and get rid of the double 30a. Might fix your problem, might not; but necessary either way.
Reply to
Toller

"30a is way too much for either use. Take this opportunity to buy a pair of

15a (or whatever) breakers and get rid of the double 30a. Might fix your problem, might not; but necessary either way. "

Before he seperates a double breaker, he better be sure how it's wired, which he obviously doesn't understand. It's possible and even likely that each leg of the double breaker are run together into the same box somewhere. Seperating the breakers would allow someone later attempting a repair to turn off one breaker and not realize the other wire is still hot, creating a dangerous situation.

Reply to
trader4

That's true; they could even share a neutral, further compounding the issue. Still, the 30a breaker has to go.

Reply to
Toller

You might want to think about getting a pro in before you get into trouble.

I dont think you are using a double 30 for the garage....

You might want to start flipping breakers off until you get no more power to the garage.

You might even have a double 30 going to a real small breaker box in the garage.

Tom

Reply to
BocesLib