electrical plug wiring for garbage disposal and dishwasher

I replaced an electrical plug under the sink in the kitchen. Currently is does not work properly. If the garbage disposal is plugged in the outlet then the disposal stays on even when the switch is off at the sink above the counter. Both the disposal and dishwasher are plugged in the outlet. What do I need to fix with the wiring?

Reply to
becky.myers

A split-wired duplex outlet will do the trick. You break off the strap between the two brass colored screws. That way, one outlet is hot all the time (dishwasher) and the other is switched (disposal).

Reply to
Charles Schuler

With a test light, find out if the above counter switch turns on the top and or the bottom receptacle. My assumption would be that one outlet is live constantly, for the dishwasher, and the other works off the switch, for the disposal. If the switch used to control one of the outlets, but now doesn't, you need to replace the switch

Reply to
RBM

I misunderstood your post. You just forgot to remove the jumper tab on the brass side of the receptacle (plug) as Charles describes

Reply to
RBM

You likely need to break off the little tab joining the brass (not the silver) screws on the side of the receptacle. This allows one outlet to be switched while the other is always on.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

That's probably the way it was, *before* she replaced the receptacle. When she put the new one in, though, she missed the jumper tab.

She doesn't need to replace the switch. She needs to break out the jumper tab connecting the top and bottom halves of the receptacle on the hot side.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Reverse the plugs.

That is, plug the top one into the bottom and the bottom one into the top.

Reply to
mm

The "plug" isn't a plug, it's a receptacle

Reply to
RBM

How can you tell?

Reply to
mm

I am assuming this is sarcasm?

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Your reminder not break the silver connection brings up another question. (Which I am sure is more than the OP wants to know)

I would think that they wouldn't even have a break link between the neutral. I can't think of any situation where I would break the neutral link.

Even if I were connecting two circuits to the outlet, I would never think of breaking the neutral link.

I would think the code would prohibit the connecting of a duplex receptacle to two different panels.

Reply to
Terry

No. The OP said she replaced the "plug" and she said the garbage disposal was "plugged" into the "outlet" and later said both devices were "plugged" into the "outlet". She seemed to know the difference between plug and outlet, and she said she replaced the plug.

Reply to
mm

"plug" refers to the male connector. You SHOULD know how to recognize males.

Reply to
Sam E

And the next 10+ posters figured out that she hadn't broken the tab off between the switched outlet (for the disposal) and the unswitched outlet (for the dishwasher). Can you give me an instance where changing the plug would have made the disposal run all the time? Nobody else could, which means we all figured out that the OP meant that the duplex receptacle got changed.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

I hate to nitpick but 6 or 7. :) Sam E is the possible 7th and I couldn't tell exactly what he meant.

I noticed that they concluded that, but she hasn't been back here to tell us one way or the other.

Yes. If she unplugged the disposal to replace its plug, and unplugged the dishwasher for whatever reason, and then plugged each one into the other's socket.

I know you know this but for other possible readers: The power meant for the dishwasher is always on, because the dishwasher has its own switch. The garbage disposal is the opposite, so its power is controlled by the wall switch.

My views are not driven by the opinions of everyone else. If she posts back, which she should, we shall see.

Reply to
mm

210.4(B) requires this for a multiwire branch circuit, but not for two separate circuits.

You can't -- but you can't compliantly have a multiwire branch circuit originating from two separate panels, either.

Reply to
Doug Miller

In other words.....Don't try to confuse me with the facts. :)

(joking)

Reply to
Terry

No -- but then, I wasn't the one who brought that up, either. You were. :-)

Reply to
Doug Miller

Last question, and I will let it die. :)

Can you think of a situation where you would break the neutral tab?

Reply to
Terry

I am one of those, even though I didn't say so. I just said a "plug" is a male connector. Considering the tab, I would have expected the OP to know the 2 outlets would have to be separated, in order to have them controlled separately.

Reply to
Sam E