Electrical Phase/Pole Power Question

OK, I know what a phase is (roughly). What I am trying to understand is how power is distributed to a house.
I see a single wire on top of the pole outside my house that runs to the transformer. The transformer is grounded. Two wires, we got a circuit ! It appears that the transformer takes whatever is on the hot wire and supplies a tree wire feed for my house. I assume these are 120hot, 120hot, and a neutral ?
Are these two phases of 120v power ? Is the transformer just a center tap type of situation ? Is the neutral that feeds my house bonded to the ground wire at the transformer ?
Thanks for any insight. FWIW, I am not trying to do my own tap off the power line, just curious.
Bob
'nuther Bob wrote:

http://people.howstuffworks.com/power.htm/printable may answer some of your questions.
-- Jack Gavin

your
very sorry about the 3 phase volts to grnd error.

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 15:35:20 GMT, 'nuther Bob

Yes.
Yes. 180 degrees out of phase.

Yes.
Yes. And also to an earth ground at your service entry.
jim ___ Have a home upkeep question? Try my help page. It's sort of an alt.home.repair FAQ. http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair