Electrical Parts Rip Off

Venting Mode On...

I'm feeling a bit ripped off right now.

I bought an exterior receptacle box for a GFCI. The box comes with 5 threaded holes, 2 on each end and 1 in the back. However, it only comes with 2 plugs. Now, I could be wrong, and I know there are many cases where only 2 plugs are required, but I'm guessing the majority need more. Any installation at the end of a run for a light or a receptacle is only going to use 1 hole and most installations in the middle of a run will only use 2 holes.

So, if my guess is correct, then the majority of consumers have to spend another couple of bucks ($2.45 to be exact) to buy a pack of plugs for the extra holes. Of course, the plugs come in packs of 4, so unless you're installing more than one box, odds are you'll have extras when you're done.

Venting Mode Off...

Anybody want to buy 2 plugs? $1.50 + S&H

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You can get boxes with 1 hole each end 1 in the back 1 hole each end 1 in each side 1 in the back 1 hole in one side 2 in the other 1 in the back and so on and on two fillers in each this is single gang two gang have more options

Reply to
Mark H

Not at my borg...and on a Sunday, there's isn't much of a choice. Had I planned my time better I would have gone to an electrical supply house during the week and saved some money.

My point (and I was only being half serious anyway) is that these companies know how to package their items such that they force consumers to spend more money than they need to. We see it every day with the accessories they include vs. what they don't. It always seems that the one you want doesn't come with the item.

I just felt like venting before...I'm OK now. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

This is one of many frustrations the average do-it-yourselfer has with the big box stores. They carry both types of boxes, but the one with fewer holes is in greater demand, thus resulting in it being out of stock frequently. So the customer is faced with two alternatives: spend more money on the box with more holes and buy the additional filler plugs, or search around town for the preferred box.

Just one of several situations making advance planning and online shopping more attractive.

Reply to
Bob

And I am happy to be here for you and to agree with you.

Now, if only we could come up with an better acronym for borg.

Better leave that one to wits in the group.

Reply to
Colbyt

Does the package say anything about the number of plugs? Perhaps is was just not packed correctly? I'd certainly let the company know I'm not buying there brand in the future.

Yes, I'd be PO'd too, especially if I had to go back to the store to buy them.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You shopped at the Borg, you put the local guy who had a box of plugs on the counter out of business, you got what you deserved.

Reply to
beecrofter