electrical panel upgrade

Me again, with the 50's ranch-on-a-slab. Electric panel needs an upgrade and my plumber (the one who put in the pump and plumbing through the attic) recommended an electrician who has come back with an excellent price. He listed two options/prices: a 100 amp 20 circuit panel for $965, or a 150 amp 30 circuit panel for $130 more.
We are currently running the basic household appliances, gas where applicable. One tv, one computer and occasional laptop, misc. audio, telephone, small stuff. Above ground pool. No AC right now, assume we'll add that eventually. One or two window units until then.
Which way should we go?
-Karen-
dkhedmo wrote:

takes a lot of amperage. I'd get the higher service as it is not much more and price seems good.

Definitely 150amp. That incremental cost is peanuts vs ever facing the need to bring someone out again to do a panel.
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net /
Why stop there, 200 amp and be done with it.

Why not class-320?
tom

I was wondering that one myself. If you're going to do it, go for 200A...
Check your circuits, will 30 allow for current useage plus additions. Note that many take double, sometimes 4 positions for one circuit. Also check out what brand and model circuit breakers the new panel uses to be sure they are a good brand and readily available. If you need more than 30 positions, either a larger panel box or a subpanel box can be added, be sure it takes the same breakers as your main panel so they can be moved around without having to buy two different brands. You may need arc-fault breakers for the bed rooms and GFI breakers for the kitchen, bathroom, garage and outdoors, as you may have to upgrade to current standards when you change the panel box.

dkhedmo wrote:

I am not sure they will even OK a 100 amps around here. I would consider 150 a starting point.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

You will never say to yourself, "gee, that service panel is too big. I wish we'd gone for the smaller one when we had the chance". If the price difference isn't painful, go for the biggest panel available. (is this including replacing the service drop, or is that big enough already?)
Get the bigger panel. Over time you or the next owner of the house will tend to add things or split things off (like dedicated circuits for appliances, the misrowave, and toaster oven). Plus if you have GFCI or AFCI breakers in the panel they take up a lot of room so it's always best to have the room.
At Lowe's a 32 circuit 200AMP service entrance is about $125.00
See http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&Ne00&category=Load+Centers+%26+Meters&N=0+5000089
--
Have a Great Week !

Check Winter Haven\'s Current Weather
Currently, it would appear that you don't need more than the 100 amp, however if you plan to install central a-c and other who knows what equipment, I would opt for a larger service. IMHO, 150 amp services are as useless as... The equipment necessary to increase to 200 amp costs only a few dollars more, in fact you can get a 30 circuit or 20 circuit panel with 200 amp main breaker, although, I'd go with a full sized 40 circuit panel

Request a service Calc, per the NEC.
Then start from there.
later,
tom @ www.NoCostAds.com
200 amp 40 circuit, a sales feature at resale time when say a shopper has a hot tub.
Years ago I weent with 100 amp major dumb move.
pricing 200 amps.
consider a panel that accepts a special generator lockout protective breaker.....
in case you ever want a emergency generator.
costs nothing now nice feature for future use

I agree.
Go with a 200 amp service and a 40 circuit panel and now would be the best time to consider some sort of generator hook-up.
dkhedmo wrote:

13% more money for 50% more capacity? If you can't afford the extra $130, sell one of your daughters.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 20:13:58 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

huh?
200A No need to do it twice.
--
Steve Barker