Electrical outlets near doorways.

Then you think wrongly.

You're misinformed, or uninformed.

"Receptacles shall be installed so that no point measured horizontally along the floor line in any wall space is more than 1.8m (6ft) from a receptacle outlet. As used in this section, a wall space shall include the following: any space 600mm (2ft) or more in width (including space measured around corners) and unbroken along the floor line by doorways, fireplaces, and similar openings. ..." [2005 NEC, Article 210.52 (A)]

In other words ... a "wall space" begins at a doorway. To comply with this article, the maximum distance an outlet may be from a doorway is six feet; otherwise, there would necessarily be some point within that "wall space" more than six feet from an outlet.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Geez ... you left out the 36" rule. Ok, so I have 2 doorway 36" apart :-) But yer right about that 6' rule.

Reply to
bowgus

*What* 36" rule?

Then there should be an outlet between them.

Yep.

Reply to
Doug Miller

OK, thats what I wanted to know. I suspected this was only homes but was not sure. This barn is 18ft X 40ft. and I only have 2 outlets in the actual barn, because thats where the animals go. But I do have one on the front wall and one on the back wall in case I need them. Both are GFI, and the romex is run thru steel conduit up to 8 feet on the walls, so animals cant chew the wires. (Some horses are notorious for this). At the same time, I have a small feed room built on the back of this barn, which is "my space". I have 4 outlets inside that tiny 7ft X 10ft room. But you know how that goes, radio, tv, power tools, electric fencer, grain mixer, electric space heater (in winter), and more. Heck, I might need another outlet soon....

Thanks

Reply to
maradcliff

Yep and the 6ft rule is way over what should be required. When I did my 18x30 addition I figured that was enough and spaced them every 6 or

8 ft (don't recall now) with the first at each side of any door - it wasn't enough.

Going strictly by the 6ft rule it is possible to have just one outlet on a 12ft wall.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

No, it's not -- unless there's a doorway at each end of it. The Code specifically states "including space measured around corners".

Reply to
Doug Miller

Except that it is possible to construct an area where there IS no wall space within several feet of the door. Take for example, the badly designed rear entryway shown at

As long as the wall segments marked with red dots are less than 24" long, there is noplace in the entryway where you are required to have a convenience outlet.

--Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn

24" in the US, 36" in Canada ... guess we have longer arms ... or something ... up here.
Reply to
bowgus

Reply to
Teo2006

There is no placement rule for outlets that specifically mentions doors. Although I think there is one for light switches along the primary entry/exit path.

Reply to
Goedjn

Yes it is. My addition is 18x30 with entrance in the middle of the

30'. Thus I could put one outlet 6' from that door and another down in the corner...well yes, you are right, I would have 2 in 15 ft. But it isn't hard to come up with a floor plan that would allow it, for example just shifting my entrance over a bit.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Remember the NEC is about SAFETY.

Convenience is another matter altogether

Reply to
hallerb

Yes, there is. NEC 210.52(A)(1) defines required outlet placement within a "wall space", and 210.52(A)(2)(1) explicitly states that "wall spaces" are delimited by doorways and other similar openings.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Also, according to Knight (and the CEC) you also count the space occupied by the door itself when fully open as part of the doorway.

So you can put an outlet 6' from the edge of the door (nearly 9' from the doorway proper and still be code compliant.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

That does not appear to be the case with the U.S. NEC, however.

Reply to
Doug Miller