Electrical outlets near doorways.

Page 1 of 2

Can any one tell me if there is a code requirement specifying that electrical outlets must be placed within X number of feet next of a doorway ? Thanks for your help.

Yes, there is. The NEC requires that no point on a wall be more than 6 feet from an outlet, measured along the wall. This means, in effect, that there must be an outlet within 6 feet of any doorway, and not less than every twelve feet thereafter. This does not apply to closets, hallways, or staircases, or to walls less than 24 inches long -- and there are more stringent requirements for kitchens. Consult the Code for all the gory details if you wish, but that's the essence of it.
--
Regards,
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 23:56:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Just curious. I dont have a code book handy. Is this just for residential homes and businesses? What about barns and garages? I was just wiring my barn and I am not even close to this. For example, I DONT put outlets in animal stalls. Thats dangerous to them (even though I use GFIs), but there is no reason to have a outlet in there. Animals dont need outlets for their microwave ovens <lol>
In all honesty, where I live, no one is going to care how many outlets I have, but I am just curious.
Mark

Homes. Not barns. Not garages. Don't know about commercial installations.
[snip]

Then do as I suggested: consult the Code for details.
--
Regards,
On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 10:48:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

OK, thats what I wanted to know. I suspected this was only homes but was not sure. This barn is 18ft X 40ft. and I only have 2 outlets in the actual barn, because thats where the animals go. But I do have one on the front wall and one on the back wall in case I need them. Both are GFI, and the romex is run thru steel conduit up to 8 feet on the walls, so animals cant chew the wires. (Some horses are notorious for this). At the same time, I have a small feed room built on the back of this barn, which is "my space". I have 4 outlets inside that tiny 7ft X 10ft room. But you know how that goes, radio, tv, power tools, electric fencer, grain mixer, electric space heater (in winter), and more. Heck, I might need another outlet soon....
Thanks

Teo2006 wrote:

I have an outlet beside a door. Wait a minute ... make that 2 outlets beside doors. Oh, no ... make that three ... there's the one on the back deck by the sliding door. No code up here that says there's a required minimum distance.

No, but there *is* a maximum distance, and I think that's what the OP was asking about.
--
Regards,
I have ADDED outlets by doors for convenience using things like vacuums and floor scribbers.

How about switch-height outlets? They're easier to reach.

Mark Lloyd

I can pull a cord through a doorway and plug into an outlet. What is a scribbers?
-- Oren

."
typo floor scrubber, for like cleaning carpet.
i hate having to move furniture to plug something in
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Same here. Kicking myself for putting all my outlets down by the floor when I rewired.
Harry K
I just added a circuit and put a new outlet in my outdoor storage closet. I put the outlet near the door. I thought about putting it close to the floor to give any cords used outside less distance to travel. I thought twice and put it between chest and waist height for convenience.

An electrical outlet directly below the switch (usually found by a door) can be a nice place to plug in a night light. It's where you need one, and being below the switch makes it less likely to be blocked.
On 28 Nov 2006 10:07:11 -0800, autobus snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

A good place for one.

Mark Lloyd

Misspelled scribblers.

Maximum distance? Don't think so. There's the so many outlets on a wall ... nothing to do with doorways. Well, probably against code to install an outlet in a doorway.

Then you think wrongly.

You're misinformed, or uninformed.
"Receptacles shall be installed so that no point measured horizontally along the floor line in any wall space is more than 1.8m (6ft) from a receptacle outlet. As used in this section, a wall space shall include the following: any space 600mm (2ft) or more in width (including space measured around corners) and unbroken along the floor line by doorways, fireplaces, and similar openings. ..." [2005 NEC, Article 210.52 (A)]
In other words ... a "wall space" begins at a doorway. To comply with this article, the maximum distance an outlet may be from a doorway is six feet; otherwise, there would necessarily be some point within that "wall space" more than six feet from an outlet.
--
Regards,
Geez ... you left out the 36" rule. Ok, so I have 2 doorway 36" apart :-) But yer right about that 6' rule.

*What* 36" rule?

Then there should be an outlet between them.

Yep.
--
Regards,