electrical outlets

The receptacle for my dryer (probably original installation when house was built, around 1969) has the ground down. The plug on the dryer (new last year) is positioned for a ground-up receptacle, so it has to be plugged in with the cord going up instead of down.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

In my younger days, I would have thought I was the only one who would reverse the receptacle to make a cord hang right, but now I know others would too.

So I would just pick a way, and if a cord arose that new not my way, I'd rotate the receptacle. (One can use a Leviton #325547 Receptacle Rotator.)

Reply to
mm

I think they reverse these every 46 years to keep electricians in business.

Reply to
mm

Is this a gas or electric dryer? Most 120/240 volt appliance cords I have seen have the ground on top. Also, it appears to be the custom for gas dryers not to have right angle plugs, while washers have right angle plugs with the ground down. This allows for both appliances to be plugged into the same duplex outlet.

Reply to
Bob

Probably not. I just hadn't thought of that.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I have a 3-prong heavy duty extenision cord with the wire at a 45 degree angle. I guess it's meant to allow it with anything in any socket. It's also darn thin. I've only see this kind of plug once.

Reply to
mm

Haha. Don't feel too bad. In college, my room was basically a narrow rectangle, with a bed on one long side, and the sink and closet on the other, with a desk in there somewhere.

The bed did not have a headboard or anything else to distinguish one end from the other.

I decided one day that I would rather sleep with my head on the other side, and so I turned the bed around. This was a pain in the ass, but with much work, in the room and in the narrow hallway outside the room, I got it turned around.

Just as I finished, someone walked by, asked what I was doing, and then asked why I hadn't simply moved the pillow to the other end and changed where the sheets and blanket were tucked in.

Doh!

Reply to
Tim Smith