Electrical Outlet Wiring

Page 3 of 3
Proch wrote:

What you just said you did (Nailing an extension cord) is quite likely in violation of the electrical code in your area.
Now that you've told the world what you did here with a post that may be findable 'forever' I suggest you check the code and if needed change the installation to be code compliant, even if it means having to hire a licensed electrician to do it if DIY electrical work isn't permitted in your area.
I realize there's a slim chance that tacking up that cord created a serious fire hazard, but if G-d forbid there should be an electrical fire in that area of your home, maybe caused by one of the pieces of computer gear deciding to flare up, your insurer may do their best to get out of paying if they can find evidence that you did something which was not to code.
Peace, and don't take this personally,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
on 10/19/2007 1:47 PM Jeff Wisnia said the following:

What if the staples are just used to hang the cord, like using cup hooks, rather than hammering them tightly to the wood, as is done with Romex.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Proch wrote:

Yes, but are those stapled wires which carry line voltage what you described as "extension cords" or are they Romex or other approved permanent wiring material, and do they have plugs on their ends or do they go into traditional electrical boxes?
I couldn't hurt to check it out with your town's electrical inspector, could it?
But, do what you want, it's your house, not mine. And as I said before I think the direct risks are minimal, it's just thinking about the posible code violation which got me going.
Peace,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Remember, code is the WORST you are allowed to build with. Not the best.

re "Now that you've told the world what you did here with a post that may be findable 'forever' I suggest you check the code and if needed change the installation to be code compliant..."
Or at least re-post and *tell* us that you changed it. ;-)

is u r google broken u sad pathetic loser social reject
Today I found he time to complete this task. The unswitched light and the switched socket were on two different circuits. I identified and turned of these circuits. Once I removed both the light and socket from their mounts, the wiring in both cases was very simple. All I did was switch the light and socket with their mounts and all is well. Thanks for all the input. Somehow I expected the switched outlet wiring to be much more complicated, but instead the whole circuit is switched.