What you just said you did (Nailing an extension cord) is quite likely
in violation of the electrical code in your area.
Now that you've told the world what you did here with a post that may be
findable 'forever' I suggest you check the code and if needed change the
installation to be code compliant, even if it means having to hire a
licensed electrician to do it if DIY electrical work isn't permitted in
I realize there's a slim chance that tacking up that cord created a
serious fire hazard, but if G-d forbid there should be an electrical
fire in that area of your home, maybe caused by one of the pieces of
computer gear deciding to flare up, your insurer may do their best to
get out of paying if they can find evidence that you did something which
was not to code.
Peace, and don't take this personally,
Yes, but are those stapled wires which carry line voltage what you
described as "extension cords" or are they Romex or other approved
permanent wiring material, and do they have plugs on their ends or do
they go into traditional electrical boxes?
I couldn't hurt to check it out with your town's electrical inspector,
But, do what you want, it's your house, not mine. And as I said before I
think the direct risks are minimal, it's just thinking about the posible
code violation which got me going.
re "Now that you've told the world what you did here with a post that
may be findable 'forever' I suggest you check the code and if needed
change the installation to be code compliant..."
Or at least re-post and *tell* us that you changed it. ;-)
Today I found he time to complete this task. The unswitched light and the
switched socket were on two different circuits. I identified and turned of
these circuits. Once I removed both the light and socket from their mounts,
the wiring in both cases was very simple. All I did was switch the light
and socket with their mounts and all is well. Thanks for all the input.
Somehow I expected the switched outlet wiring to be much more complicated,
but instead the whole circuit is switched.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.