Electrical outlet - too hot?

Hi folks,
I found an outlet in my bedroom that we haven't used before. I used is for my razor charger for a bit. My wife then tried her blow dryer in the same plug and it toasted the blow drier. Before I call the electrician, can anyone give me an idea why this is happening?
Thanks !!
Louis
snipped-for-privacy@trirfoods.com (Louis McEniry) writes:

Do you own a volt meter? If not, you can pick up an inexpensive one. I just bought a 10 meg ohm digital volt meter at Shucks Automotive for $15.
--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

Larry Caldwell wrote:

or get one for $5 when on sale and Harbor Freight.
snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (George E. Cawthon) writes:

Just so. Troubleshooting electrical problems requires a minimum number of tools. If you can't measure what a circuit is doing, it is very hard to solve a problem. A VOM is so cheap that there is no excuse for not owning one.
--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

Thanks Larry,
I think my only excuse is not being well equipped to read / understand it... not sure if I can deal with what it tells me. I don't know if I will end up needing an electrician anyways.
Louis
(George E. Cawthon) writes:

$15.
Louis McEniry wrote:

The conductors in that circuit are probably not heavy enough to carry that high an amp draw and therefore the voltage dropped causing excess amp draw which may have overheated and fried a fuse link in the dryer! Take a look at the size of the wiring going to that razor outlet. - Darrell
--
Get the Cooling Capacity and Efficiency you Paid for -
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditioner-capacity-seer.html

for
same
Darrell
Thanks Donald,
I think you are right. The dryer seemed to operate at a very high speed and then started to fry. It actually still works in other outlets without any problem. I will try the light and see.
I did some more sleuthing and it appears that the circuit might have been originally for a heavy duty heater.
Louis

can
It was probably just time for the blow dryer to die. The way the make things these days, no suprise.
Dave

for
Louis McEniry wrote:

What does toasted the blow drier mean? The cord burned? The drier burst into flame? drier just doesn't work anymore? Does the outlet still work?