It's interesting that I can search for products in US based Home Depots, but I can't seem to do the same for stores located in Canada.

They've got 20 of those receptacles in the Newark, NJ store:

I can't even search for them in Canada. All the "store websites" in Canada seem to be the same generic page.

BTW...I did not see any 2 prong receptacles listed at lowes.ca

Reply to
DerbyDad03

"Pipes" from the 1930s, IDK, but if you use modern EMT/conduit, yes and it;s permitted. I would think older conduit, before grounds became code, would be suspect because it wasn't designed and installed with the intent of it being a ground. Which is similar to the question I raised about relying on old BX to be the ground if you want to upgrade two prong receptacles to grounded ones.

In my 1st house, built in the early

Yes, if it's a listed self-grounding receptacle.

Reply to
trader_4

There are some areas where conduit and BX were required - but across MOST of North America it is quite uncommon.

Reply to
clare

Up here I don't think there is a CSA approved 2 prong duplex outlet available - and if they are not CSA approved they are illegal to offer for sale.

Reply to
clare

Not legally, unless he provides a ground wire.

Reply to
Checkmate, DoW #1

I didn't check the pic. I've seen plastic boxes holding the old style two prong outlets, it's the only reason I even commented.

Reply to
Diesel

Nope. He was watching a movie on a portable DVD player. [g] I hope the movie was worth it. I tried to find the article where this detail was originally mentioned, but, in a rush and had no luck. Seems they'd rather focus on the car screwing up with the reports I found rather than admit the driver was being careless. Gotta love what passes for journalism these days.

It may have setup the drive incorrectly, though. As it didn't know you were restoring to SSD. IE: partition alignment. Get the most out of that uber quick drive. [g]

With that said, I've seen cases (specifically with HP) where the restore discs do not work. IE: HP didn't check to make sure it works if needed. That was a lot of fun to be told by the computer that the discs it created weren't made for it and so it wouldn't use them. Luckily! I was a hardass concerning external drive and imaging, so that saved his bacon.

I've seen Dells restore program fail for the same reason too. So, instead of relying on it alone, I have the clients use an external HD and use a program like Clonezilla (if their semi technical literate) and/or Macrium Reflect to image the entire drive onto the external and disconnect it when not in use; so as to prevent possible ransomware from gaining access to the contents of that drive in the event the client compromises his/her system with one.

Reply to
Diesel

trader_4 explained on 9/13/2016 :

It's The Guardian, so maybe.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

He will tell you he did a Souper Sekret Euler Sinewave Summation Equation inculcation that he can't share with you, but it proved that the outlet is providing DC.

Reply to
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass

There was a period of time where the NEC required a ground wire to the box but the 5-15 receptacle was not required. You can look for ground wires in the boxes/panel or you can use an adapter and a 3 light tester as an indication. Those wires were smaller than the ungrounded conductor but still should be big enough to trip the over current device in a bolted fault.

Reply to
gfretwell

trader_4 posted for all of us...

I saw a piece on Bitching Betty that Boeing uses on the F-18. It's a female voice that informs the pilots of actions or faults that are serious. If they can create a system for a fighter jet wouldn't a car be a wiz? Think of the lives saved! Think of the kids!

Reply to
Tekkie®