Electrical Outlet Question

I have my Christmas lights plugged into several outside GFCI electrical outlets.
They do have waterproof covers on them, but with the lights being plugged into the outlet, I don't believe it is adequate coverage to protect it from the rain and snow.
Would it be safe to simply tie a plastic bag around it? Any other ideas?
Many thanks.
Kate
Kate wrote:

Don't worry about it- that is why you have GFCI outlets. If the strings get wet enough to short out, the power will drop. Just make sure none of the bulb sockets or strings (especially the end-to-end connectors) are sitting where puddles will form if you get a sudden sunny afternoon. A plastic bag could actually do more harm than good, due to condensation if you get temp swings.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

The end connectors, where one strand of lights plug into another one, are wrapped with a plastic bag around them, and then electrical tape to keep them from getting wet?
I have been doing this for years. Is this a bad idea?
Thanks.
Kate wrote:

not a bad idea per se, just a waste of time.

Why not. Tie it on to prevent water entry, but be sure to leave an opening on the bottom for water to drain. You can also, replace the existing rain tight covers with "while in use" covers, which will properly solve your problem

1. You could put the CGFIs inside, and run cords through windows.
2. There are covers made to keep water out even with cords connected.
3. If you use bags, make sure the opening stays DOWN, otherwise you have water collectors.

Mark Lloyd
Kate wrote:

Hi, For years I plug light strings into GFCI outlet outside. Now using all LED lights power consumption is very low. Not even single time GFCI tripped. I live in Southern Alberta. BTW, tonight it is near -20 deg. C with some snow on the ground. My lights are already in operation. You know pure water is not a good conductor.

It was 56 F here in Ga today. A little too cold for my tastes.

It was 46 F here in Michigan. I was out in just a t-shirt.
David
(Disclaimer - By "out" I mean that I was outside. And I was wearing pants, socks and shoes so technically I was wearing more than just a t- shirt. But I was not wearing a hat so I was topless.)

Idiot. Where are you going to find pure water, outside of a laboratory?
On Dec 3, 8:01am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:
w.ca> wrote:

There might be places on eearth where the rain/snow water is less contaminated than that which falls in Pittsburgh or NYC
Doug Miller wrote:

You can buy distilled water at the grocery store. It's pretty pure. Admittedly, not a pure as triple-distilled commonly found in a lab, but almost.
Rain. Rain starts off more pure than triple-distilled water. It may pick up some contaminants on the way down and some more as it drains off the roof. But in ten minutes or so, most of the possible contaminants have been washed away and subsequent drops are about as good as commercial distilled water.
HeyBub wrote:

Have you ever heard of acid rain???? So pure it is killing forests in some areas.

We plug ours into outdoor GFIs every year, & have to reset them a few times per season. December here rain is the most likely precip, and it will short something every time, no harm done, just reset them and go on. I'm switching to LEDs this year, time will tell if they fair better, worse, or about the same. I don't see any point in covering them.

*For the short time that the lights will be out that is probably okay. The new electrical code requires that outdoor receptacles exposed to the elements have "While in use bubble covers" on them which protect the outlet while a cord is plugged in.

I would think the pastic bag would create more problems than it solved.
Weatherproof "in use" covers. I paid $20 or so at Lowes for my first one. Liked it so much I bought a dozen on ebay for $4-5 each.
Search ebay for them.
Jim

I'd prefer nothing tied around an outlet. It is made for outdoor use. Keep it as dry as possible.
Kate wrote:

ideas? ideas for what? just leave it be. It'll be fine.