Electrical outlet on a horizontal surface

I have a 4x4' area on top of a closet (exposed to 18-foot ceiling area) that I'd like to install an electrical outlet. This area is only accessible with a ladder, but I'd like to put a narrow artificial Christmas tree there, and possibly a fountain/light later. One side of the outlet will be run to a wall switch. Will I need a special outlet or cover for this? TIA

I'm assuming you are concerned with contamination falling into the receptical slots that are facing up???
You might want to use an outdoor outlet that has the little doors to cover the recepticals when not in use.
Shy of that, you could use those child safety plug covers that are simply plastic covers that insert into the recepticals when not in use.
On 07 Dec 2004 20:05:31 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com.gov (Rileyesi) wrote (with possible editing):

I'm not clear if his outlet is going in the ceiling or the floor. If it's the floor, it would be better to use a floor outlet cover and a box designed to go into the floor. They are typically made of brass and have screw in covers to protect unused sockets.
If it's in the ceiling, he doesn't have to do anything special.
--
Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com