Electrical outlet

Hello All,

This morning when I woke up, my TV/DVD/Stereo/Cable didn't work and I figured since it did not blow a breaker switch, the outlet must be dead.

I went to Lowe's and replaced the old one and it still doesn't work. I bought a small tester and it is as dead as the first outlet.

What should I do now? Any ideas appreciated. ;-)

Thanks, dumb blonde

Reply to
dumb blonde

Any chance it is on a GFI? It shouldn't be unless it is in a kitchen, bathroom or maybe a basement. Otherwise probably bad circuit breaker.

Reply to
Art

If it is just one outlet that is dead, first, be sure there isn't a wall switch controlling it. If not, it's likely an open circuit. One of the wires feeding that outlet from an upstream outlet, have come loose. Try to determine which circuit they are on and kill it before opening up nearby outlets

Reply to
RBM

"RBM" wrote in news:47b8fa73$0$25047$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

Oh my, I can't believe I'm so stupid! I'm a single mom/homeowner and when I moved in 10 years ago, I remember that a switch on another wall in the living room controlled that switch. I told my kids to never touch it, the other switch is for flood lights pointing at the fireplace which is rarely used. One of my son's friends hit the switch last night after the TV was turned off.

After I read your post, a lightbulb went off in my head and I checked and sure enough, that was it. Now everything works just fine. Thank you so much, I'm very grateful.

Thank you too, Art.

dumb blonde

Reply to
dumb blond

I often have to go to people's houses to repair small electrical problems they've lived with for years, usually because they're selling the house. One of the most common problems are "dead" outlets, and switches that "do nothing". You can imagine their surprise when I tell them that there is a connection "literally", between the two

Reply to
RBM

Well, you have a few options here. You could remove the switch and wire nut the wires together and put a blank wall cover over it or you could get one of those switch covers that you have to open to throw the switch.

Reply to
Mike Dobony